1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg portaflex anyone??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jscriv, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Ended up with a PF 210. Considering grabbing a PF 500 head just for a simple easy to transport practice rig. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

Wisebass likes this.
  2. G-Z

G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    I think @JimmyM might be able to tell you a little about the different flavours of Portaflex.

Wisebass likes this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Jscriv :)

Waiting for JimmyM? :D Good idea!

In the meantime…

Official Ampeg Portaflex Club

...have good read! :bookworm:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

G-Z and rodl2005 like this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fine little rig, a PF500 and PF210. Don't know what else I can add :D

5. I have a PF 500 and love it. No experience with a 2 10 though. I can tell you that the PF 500 through an 8 10 is awesome.

6. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    I figure it'll put out about 250 watts, leave solid headroom on the cab and be portable and I've been playing ampeg for 15 years. I've just read alot of crappy reviews. I wanted to see some positives

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    only caution I would offer is to get a new one, or if you are looking at a used one, make sure its a later rev.
    Some of the earlier revs of this amp had thermal shutdown issues.
    I have a PF500 and 115HE. It has a pretty distinctive Ampeg sound and sounds just fine.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, related to tech issues in its first year. Been fixed for a few years now, so while any amp can break, complaints about breakdowns are way down since then.

9. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Cool, Im defidently going to grab a 500 here in the near future. I'd never seen the fliptop design until I got this 210 in a trade. I had zero idea that the head attached to the lid untill a few days ago when I looked up pf500 demos. I'm not sure how it's going to compare to the BA300 i leave in my drummers basement. But the dudes cat lives down there.....portable amp?? Sign me up! I'll drop a pic in the fliptop thread when it's all together. Thanks for the responses guys

JimmyM likes this.
  10. It should be a fine amp :) maybe look into the Scrambler for a bit of grit, or a similar pedal. Honestly you've got no shortage of options for convenient lightweight heads.

11. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    But will they all connect to the fliptop so nicely? Also going to be grabbing a tone hammer 500/ sl410. I play super clean or with a big muff cranked. I almost bought a bass terror...complete opposite of my style but sounds so sweet

12. Any amp should, in theory, if you have the right drill bit and don't mind getting dirty. But no, other brand's amps are not designed for the flip top feature. They'd also still fit inside the cabinet, though.

13. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Very true.

14. I mean, I'm not endorsing voiding warranties if you care about that, or ruining a cab if you're bad with power tools. I'm just throwing ideas out there if you're the type to explore them.

Rice your phone, make your own campstove, build a house, fix your car, do your reading, get messy, take educated and calculated risks. Life, IMO, begins outside of your comfort zone, and when you stop learning things that's when you die. But hey, this is a bass amp, not Lifestyle.

15. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Unfortunately I am an industrial electrician. I Fab stuff together all the time. Just not sure why I never thought to stick whatever head I wanted on there. I do have a slight obsession with matching things. I don't think I could get lucky enough for something to fail under warranty hahahahahaha.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  16. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    I also used to build houses!

pie_man_25 likes this.
  17. Man, you sound like the kind of guy I want to be in ten years :)