Ampeg Portaflex Mounting Issue PF-800 - Any Ampeg Pros know?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JBoogy, Sep 11, 2022.

1. JBoogy

JBoogy Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Pensacola, FL
    Backwards hit edge.jpg Backwards Off.jpg Backwards won't close.jpg Front Ways hits Edge.jpg Front ways just a bit off from closing.jpg Need to Remove 2.jpg Need to remove.jpg The handle hits.jpg

So I have mounted my PF-800 to my PF-115HE in accordance with the only instructions from Ampeg I could find, which is this youtube video -

BUT my PF-800 head doesn't fit. When I flip it into the cab for transport, it doesn't align. The front handles hit the side and it does not align with the latches. Nowhere in the manual does it mention anything about this. Should the front handles be removed? If so, how? What size allen wrench? Why was this not included with the amp? Why is this information not available in the manual or in their own videos? The main selling point of this combo of amp head and cabinet to me is this portability utilizing the flip top, so why does it not work???

I have submitted an Ampeg support ticket, waiting for a response. Unfortunately, their ancient support system doesn't allow pictures so I can't show them what I am describing.

When it is frontways, the handles hit the side and it is a tiny bit off from the latches, but just enough so that it won't latch and there is a gap. Useless.

When it is backward, the front handles hit and it won't even clear the top, so it is even worse. Useless.

Obviously (I guess??) the front handles need to be removed for it to work. So why not say that anywhere? the website? The manual? The explainer videos on youtube? Why not include an allen wrencch of the correct size for the user? Why on earth create an issue for the customer to solve on their own? What could possibly be the reasoning here???

2. If removing the front handles allows the lid to shut correctly then thats a really easy solution. I'd find a suitable location inside the cab to attach the front handles for safe keeping. If you haven't already got a set of metric/imperial allen keys buy one; they cost next to nothing and one will fit the bolt heads.

3. JBoogy

JBoogy Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Pensacola, FL
    Yeah I don’t know if it will, but I don’t have Allen wrenches so I have to buy a set and wait for them. It’s crazy it didn’t come with the correct ones or mention the size in the manual. Of course I have no idea if I remove those handles if that messes anything up. I am only guessing because there is no info on the website, in the manual, or in their videos. And I haven’t see anyone on talk as mention it either. It is very strange. Have a set of Allen wrenches ordered and have to wait for them to get here to see.

4. I'm really nosey when it comes to amplifiers. If simple enough I would remove the top cover to check that replacing the front handle bolts won't hit against anything as they will protrude further into the amp without the handles fitted. They look far enough to the left and right hand sides to be clear of internal assemblies.

agedhorse likes this.
  5. I've just read this in the 115 user manual; maybe the PF800 doesn't fit inside, which would be really annoying.
    20220912_002803.jpg

6. JBoogy

JBoogy Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Pensacola, FL
    Gees I would definitely be annoyed if secretly the PF-800 doesn't fit and they hide that in the marketing. I guess I would switch to a PF-500 then.

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Model H W D
    PF350 2" 11" 11"
    PF500 3" 14" 11"
    PF800 3" 15" 11"

It looks like that extra inch of width is critical. I agree that it's not cool on Ampeg's part to be more explicit about this.

JBoogy likes this.
  8. JBoogy

JBoogy Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Pensacola, FL
    Yeah Gees. I thought the PF-500 and PF-800 were the same size. I wonder why they never mention the PF-800 doesn't actually fit! Seems deceptive. I just hope taking the front handles off is acceptable, and gives it enough room.

9. Isaac_James

Isaac_James

May 20, 2021
    Eugene, OR
    It's possible the manual was written before the PF800 was introduced. They didn't all come out at the same time, and the 800 was the last to roll out.

@JBoogy there is a Portaflex amp club with a bunch of other smart users too, might be worth checking out.

DJ Bebop, Sparky Mark and JBoogy like this.
  10. halcyo

halcyo

Sep 19, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have the 115 HE cab and my PF800 is attached to the lid and fits inside fine.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    Sparky Mark likes this.
  11. JBoogy

JBoogy Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Pensacola, FL
    Did you see my pictures at the beginning of this thread? Mine does not fit, it will not latch, it is off by a bit. did you take the front handles off of your PF-800? I have no idea why yours would fit and mine wouldn't??

DJ Bebop and halcyo like this.
  12. halcyo

halcyo

Sep 19, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I was just looking at your pics and I’m not quite sure what ya got goin on there. When I get a chance tomorrow, I’ll take a look at mine and see whats up. I didn’t have to remove any front handles.

Is it possible you used the wrong mounting holes, or maybe flipping it backwards?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. JBoogy

JBoogy Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Pensacola, FL
    It only lined up with the outer holes so I know its the right holes. I have thought maybe it is backwards but it looks like that wouldn't make a difference from what I can see.In fact it looks like if it was turned around it would have less room than the way it is now.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. JBoogy

JBoogy Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Pensacola, FL
    T
    Thanks! I posted there, hoping they can help.

DJ Bebop and Isaac_James like this.
  15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    DJ Bebop, Isaac_James and AlexanderB like this.
  16. JBoogy

JBoogy Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Pensacola, FL
    I bought the PF-800 and the PF-115HE brand new in August so there shouldn’t be the issue described in that thread about early models.

DJ Bebop and Isaac_James like this.
  17. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Sure?
    I recently bought a stocked Markbass from a brick and mortar MI shop. Turned out to be manufactured in 2016.... :-o

DJ Bebop likes this.
  18. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I have the PF500 and the 115.

I had to reverse the mounting on mine.
    It wouldn’t fit/everything line up , so I removed all the screws and reversed it.
    Then it fit. I still have to put the top on “one way” over the other other or the top doesn’t line up as it should.

I took it as the way everything was centered when it was built. It’s not an issue after I figured it out.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    DJ Bebop, JettBlaq and JBoogy like this.
  19. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Just as devil's advocate here. Is it possible they didn’t include the 800 as the power ratings at 8ohm could overwhelm the 115?

I could certainly see where Ampeg wouldn't want to include it in the manual, only to have people arguing “if it could blow the speaker why is it in the manual?”

BobKos and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    The Ampeg people forget that we are only bass players. If they realized that, there would be less stuff left for us to figure out.

DJ Bebop likes this.