1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg questions!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman74, Apr 9, 2010.

1. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I've been reading about ampeg over the last 1.5 hours without finding the answer i was looking for...

So i have a question that as been asked before i'm sure but i'm tired of reading all these different threads...

I need help:

I want a new amp for practicing mostly at home and with my band + mostly small to medium gig but nothing big because we do have PA support.

I tried the Ampeg ba115 and i likd it a lot. I'm sure 100w won't be enought to compete with the drum and a loud guitar, so i was thinking about:

B115HP, BA300/115 or Micro VR head and cab.

I can only afford one cab actually if i go with the Micro VR...

I normally prefer 15'' speaker..

I play mostly rock and blues and some funk, almost no slap!

Which one would you choose?

Thanks guys, your help is appreciated.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Either way, you'll need more than one 15" spkr. I'd suggest a used head, with 300 or so watts, and a used speaker cab in the 4x10 realm.

3. i used to own the BA115HPT and currently I own the Micro-VR with 2x SVT-210AV cabinets.

the ba115hpt will work fine for ur needs (home, band practice, small-medium gigs). it has an XLR for going to PA. the tweeter does hiss when its fully turned up, but this is adjustable. the tone from this amp is awesome. heaps of low end from 15" speaker. the main downside is that it weighs 80pounds.

my micro-vr with 2x svt-210av cabs can cover the same job as the ba115hpt. as long as you don't mind the fan making sounds when it's quiet. it's only noticeable when you're playing by yourself in a quiet place. i personally don't mind it because the tone of this amp is worth it. it has a vintage tone. the ba115hpt has 5 style selectors which makes the ba115hpt a bit more versatile if you like switching sounds.
    i like having 4x 10" speakers with the 2 cabs combined and this rig is SO light! i can hold a cabinet with 1 hand easily.

micro svt and ba115hpt both are capable of 200-250watts (as long as you have 2x cabinets for the micro). both can cover the jobs you need it for.

ba115hpt - more versatile sounds, heavy (but has removable wheels).
    micro svt - vintage tone, very light

cant go wrong with both imo, good luck!

4. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I gig with a V4BH and a SVT-15. I hardly if ever run out of juice. On gigs where I need more I have a monitor in front of me. I play with a pretty loud blues rock trio. I actually switched from the 4-10 to the 15 so I could open up the head.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if you like the ba115, you will like the ba300. it's the same amp with more power. i think that would get you through your situation the best and cheapest. the ba115 could possibly get it done for you, but there will be times it probably won't. same with the vr except i think it almost has to have two cabs to get anything out of it like what you need. great sounding cabs, but probably won't make a micro vr loud enough for your purposes with only one cab.

6. you might look at some of the Carvin combos, suppose to be good amps, and cheap. you get them in 210s are 15

7. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    What i'm looking for is the famous ampeg tone so i'm not looking for other amp brand.

I liked the ba115 because it has 5 different setting and the one prefered where vintage #1 and flat #3.

I'm seriously considering the ba300/115. I was just hoping it was sounding like the ba115 with more power...(thanks JimmyM for this answer)

The cool part is the weight. The Ba300 is 60lbs vs the ba115hp which is 80lbs... I can deal with 60lbs easily.

My only concern is reliability, it's seems that ampeg quality has gone down, any comment about this???

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    ampeg quality has gotten a lot better since the idiot that used to run loud got fired. i heard he's at behringer/bugera now, and they can have him. i've only played one ba300 but i couldn't find anything wrong with it. but i have played a lot of newer ampeg stuff and really haven't seen anything that's alarmed me.

9. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That sounds like something Yogi Berra would say.

10. no idea who yogi berra is lol

11. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    i found a store 45min away from home who has a 300/115 in stock, i'll drive there tomorrow to try it!

12. rdwoody1

rdwoody1

Aug 23, 2009
    Jackson, TN
    New York Yankees catcher from back in the day. Just do a Google search for "Yogisms" or "Yogiisms." You should find lists. He had some really great quotes. Should be an interesting read for you.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    professional baseball...like cricket but much slower, no wickets, and everyone puts in half effort and expects full pay. but back in yogi's day, men played baseball for the love of the game and the honor of competition.

14. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I just comeback from the music store. I drove 1.5 hours back and forth for a BA300/115 that doesn't turn on.

I plugged 2 different basses with 2 different cables.

When i was plucking the compressor light was engaging, the mute button was off and no sound coming out of the amp. It was brand new....

I think it answers my question about ampeg reliability...

15. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Wow, that's disappointing. :meh:

I have an older Ampeg BA210 combo that I like a lot. It's very similar to the BA115HP and like you said it's heavy, but it does indeed pull it's weight for small and medium gigs.

I know you said you're looking for the Ampeg sound, but honestly these little Ampeg combos are still not going to sound like a proper SVT. If you get a chance to try the Sansamp VT pedal in front of some other brands and you may be impressed.

Just saying not to limit yourself too much right now, and then after you step up to a more powerful combo you can start saving for a proper SVT (or my preference the V4B) tube head and cab rig if that's the sound you're going for.

Good luck. :bassist:

16. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Imho, You're looking at the lower end ampegs, and I wouldn't judge quality over one amp.
    Ampeg has tended to be hit or miss. I have to agree with dogbone. If you want real Ampeg you need a real svt that has ready for it? TUBES.

A v4b would be a great choice because its basically a mini svt classic. pop that with a 115 or a 4x10 and youll be golden. Though I vote for 2x12s

17. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    It's funny because i remember reading somewhere that the
    BA115 as that famous ampeg tone!!!

not everyone as the same definition of tone i assume...

18. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    i think you're confusing the BA115 with the B15. very different monsters there.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    different monsters, yes, but for the money, you can do a lot worse than the ba115.

20. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    What, no votes for the B-100R? For sure it has the classic Ampeg tone, and I use this at small to medium gigs with loud drummers with no problems. In fact, I have never been able to really crank this up in these venues. It doesn't push enough air for big gigs, but I have another rig for that. I also have a V-4 set-up similar to that of Acubass and second his choice (a lot more weight & less portability, but the upside is real Ampeg tube tone!).

Billy-Bob