1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SCR-DI vs Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by recode, Mar 18, 2018.

1. SCR-DI

34 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. BDDI

34 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Hi guys! First of all, I got to apologize for creating a thread that already been discussed a million times, but let me tell you my story. I've been using Tech 21 VT Bass V2 for years, about 5 years now if to be precise and it was doing fine, but I always felt like it's lacks something. The problem is that for me drive on this unit is very unusable, because it doesn't have a Blend function and bass get lost in the mix easily even if i put drive to about 12 o'clock. Another thing that i don't like is it's lows, they are muddy, when i try to boost the bass, it doesn't add kick and punch to the sound, but muddiness instead, it doesn't sound tight. So lately i thought that i need to get a regular Sansamp BDDI, because a lot of folks here had the same issue with VT Bass as I do and BDDI helped them to resolve this. I also like the fact that it has blend function, because i'm 100% sure the I will never use Blend function on full like Tech 21 suggests, because again I want to blend clean signal with driven to retain lows and punch. So the thing is I don't know which one should i get Ampeg SCR-DI or Tech 21 BDDI. I don't use a low of drive in my sound, but still want it to be separate from clean signal. About Ampeg, I had a chance to play them live and I absolutely love them, if I would play a real amps, I would go for Ampeg amps for sure, but my idea is to play ampless live and to have i D.I. that i can give to a sound guy and make everyone happy. Make you vote please.

2. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    And there is another thing, Tech 21 will start selling dUg Pinnick's preamp and overdrive pedal in April. And this thing looks really interesting. It has a separate drive and clean channels, plus a compressor. Only thing I don't like about it is the size of pedal, I don't need this tuner to be there with separate switch for tunner, this makes this pedal unfriendly for my pedalboard, I have a Boss tuner pedal and won't use any others or sell it.

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    It sounds like the dUg preamp isn't something you're actually considering anyway, so that one's easy to scratch off your list.

If you don't need the drive, go for the standalone Ampeg Pre rather than the SCR-DI and just buy a nice outboard DI like a Radial and be done with it. And since you've made a point to mention that your current pedal board size is a restricting factor, the BDDI loses against the Ampeg because it's about 1.5 times wider.

4. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    I actually need a drive, but i don't want it to be another pedal. I don't use distortion, but I do like an overdriven sound, but again i want to have a blend function to dial in some dirt until it just work in the mix, i don't like totally clean, transparent sounds, I play hard rock and lets say "lightest of metal" genres.

5. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Then go for the SCR-DI and skip buying a dedicated DI. The BDDI has an inherent mid-scoop which won't help with the clarity problem you describe...

Why are you boosting bass if it already sounds muddy? You should turn it down if you're looking for clarity. In fact, try turning down both the bass and the treble, if you want to get a more forward sound, as this is the equivalent of turning up the mids - without actually turning them up and drastically altering your EQ. It might help your problem a lot and will be much cheaper.

6. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    well if to be real I know how make my sound cut thru, but the problem is that lows are not powerful that way, I mean it will sound like whole band lacks bass. For example, in the studio where I'm rehearsing with my band, there is an ashdown amp and it has low, low mid, mid, high mid and treble and I can make it sound like I want, I'm boosting bass and high mids and cutting low mid and mids a bit, that way bass cuts thru nicely, but I can't active this sound with VT Bass, because against it's lows are not thight and punchy, they are muddy. I hope that you understand what I'm talking about. But again it's not my ashdown amp and live I want to play ampless or atleasat don't rely on backline. May the problem is that VT Bass lows are 100hz, when SCR-DI lows are 40hz and also SCR-DI has a blend function where my VT Bass pedal's drive is affecting whole sound and messes up the lows.

7. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I think I understand. Do you like the sound of the VT Bass overall, ignoring the muddiness? If so, have you considered using a blender? Two great options are the Mosquite Blender, which is tiny and easy to set up, and the Xotic X-Blender which has a built in two band preamp (bass/treble). Either one will allow you to continue to use your VT but give you the option of mixing in as much clean bass (or any other effect) as you like. That might solve the problem and not force you to change a sound that you already like.

8. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    You might look into AMT BC-1 too. In general it's close to VT Bass in therms of sound, but got way more knobs. And it was designed to be used just in the way you want it to (directly into the power amp, so you won't need to rely on the backline that much).
    Played ashdown with it for a few years myself and it sounded pretty awesome.
    Edit: Here's the vid of it with Ashdown btw

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  9. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    I've seen this pedal before. I don't think that I like this kind of drive it has and another thing is that I don't want to mess around with all those kbobs, all though I can imagine how versatile it is. So it looks like an option too, mayve.

10. speedball3

speedball3

Nov 13, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    None
    Are you using the VTBass pedal that does not have the DI output? Have you tried the VT Bass DI? The VTBDI has a blend knob on it, while the VTBass does not. Might be worth looking into since you like the VTBass sound but want to retain more of your bass's original tone... see the link below.

TECH 21 - SansAmp VT Bass DI

Al Kraft likes this.
  11. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    I do like this pedal , but I'm now sure if I like the drive sound of it, I mean from what I heard I liked BDDI overdriven sound better. BDDI has a Presence control and it really changes the overdrive from farty to crunchy.

12. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    So far I can see there is more votes for BDDI. Guys I need your help vote please or make your suggestions.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  13. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    My guess is that the BDDI V2 or VTBassDI will work out well for you. I like the BDDI V2 a lot. I use it more than my BDDI V1, PDDI or VTBassV2.

recode likes this.
  14. dbbltime

dbbltime

Oct 5, 2014
    NRH, Texas
    I have the Ampeg scr-di and I'm very pleased with it. It makes my SS amp sound like my tube amps. Then when I hit the ultra low button, and or the ultra high button, wow. The scrambler is also just what I was looking for, very controllable. Nothing against the Tech 21 which I was also tempted to get, but my choice to go with the scr-di worked for me.

15. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Guys thank you very much for your input. Now am even more confused. I mean I really want both of those pedals. (crying)

16. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I currently own an Svt Cl. I don't use it live, I use GK 700rbs. I prefer the reliability and tightness and punch of the GK but I kinda need the ampeg sound for my band.

Let me tell u, I think the scr sounds awsome. I will actually run it into my svt and it sounds better, more modern I guess. I love the sound of the scr into my GKs , really hard hitting and powerful without the fuzz/fizz of the bddi. I actually bought a v2 of it, used it for 1 gig and sent it back
    I use my scr at home to practice and got tired of taking it with me so I just got the classic pedal and the scrambler pedal for my live rig. The scrambler pedal sounds great at lower drive settings and the pedal has more control than the scr version

Get it from Sweetwater. If it isn't right for u send it right back for full refund. I did that with the bddi v2

17. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    What are you playing the VT Bass pedal through?

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I voted for the Ampeg SCR-DI, cause I'm awesome...

images(9).

19. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Btw, defiantly not knocking tech 21, they make great things, just not what I was needing

recode and Al Kraft like this.
  20. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    I'm playing direct into my recording interface. I don't really care how it sound thru an amps, I don't want to relay on backline at all, I care about is how it will sound D.I., for example in in-ear monitors on stage, or thru headphones plugged in directly into my audio interface. And now after using VT Bass V2 for so long I feel like I'm starting to hear things that I don't like, for example, as I already said low end is not thight and clear, especially when character control is above 12 o'clock and as you add more drive it's getting worse, low end disappears and when you try to bring it back with low control it adds mud, for me it sound like a low mid mud, but I want a real lows thight and punchy. That's why I think that BDDI is a much more better than VT Bass in that response.