Ampeg speaker cable....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Keepitcoolidge, Mar 4, 2006.

1. I just bought this ampeg speaker cable with "speakon connectors". It didn't come with any directions, and I can't quite figure out where to plug it in....

:help:

2. correction:

its half speakon half 1/4-

I've tried plugging it in several different ways, but nothing seems to be working...

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Is the Speakon end marked "Bridge"? If so, it would (probably) be wired 1+ and 2+ (a NL4 speakon has two pairs of contacts named 1+, 1-, 2+ and 2-. Typical wiring convention is 1+ and 1-. However, in some amps that have two power amps and are bridgeable to a single output, the bridged output will appear on 1+ and 2+).

What kind of amp and cabinet are you trying to use it with?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I just looked at your profile and if you're trying to use an Ampeg "Bridged" Speakon to 1/4 in. cable with an SVT3-Pro and the PR-410HLF, it won't work.

It looks like your amp has 1/4 in and Speakon outs...page 7 of the manual (available here... http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/SVT-3PRO.PDF) shows that the Speakon jack is indeed wired 1+ and 1-.

I couldn't find any info on the cabinet wiring, but I suspect that the Speakon is 1+ and 1- also, so you couldn't turn the cable around.

What you can do (if you have a bridged cable) is rewire 2+ back to 1-...but it might be better to return the cable for the proper one, if this is indeed the problem.

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    The cable you bought is probably a bridging cable for a SVT Pro 4 amp.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I just looked at www.ampeg.com and found the following info...

Cable AFR6SQ is a 6 ft. Speakon to 1/4 in. cable wired properly for your amp (1+ to 1/4" tip / 1- to 1/4" sleeve).

Cable AMB6SQ is a 6 ft. Speakon to 1/4 in. cable wired for the SVT4-Pro (1+ to 1/4" tip / 2+ to 1/4" sleeve) as both HMZ and I mentioned.

There is a chart in the cables section of Ampeg's web site (I went to site map then found accessories, then cables) that tells you exactly what to use.

To simplify:

SVT-3PRO HOOKUPS
    CONNECTORS
    APPLICATION HEAD TO CABINET CABLE MODEL
    Full range mono 1/4" 1/4" ASC146
    Full range mono Speakon 1/4" AFR6SQ
    Full range mono 1/4" Speakon AFR6SQ
    Full range mono Speakon Speakon AFR6S2