Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg speaker cable....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Keepitcoolidge, Mar 4, 2006.

1. I just bought this ampeg speaker cable with "speakon connectors". It didn't come with any directions, and I can't quite figure out where to plug it in....

:help:

2. correction:

its half speakon half 1/4-

I've tried plugging it in several different ways, but nothing seems to be working...

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Is the Speakon end marked "Bridge"? If so, it would (probably) be wired 1+ and 2+ (a NL4 speakon has two pairs of contacts named 1+, 1-, 2+ and 2-. Typical wiring convention is 1+ and 1-. However, in some amps that have two power amps and are bridgeable to a single output, the bridged output will appear on 1+ and 2+).

What kind of amp and cabinet are you trying to use it with?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I just looked at your profile and if you're trying to use an Ampeg "Bridged" Speakon to 1/4 in. cable with an SVT3-Pro and the PR-410HLF, it won't work.

It looks like your amp has 1/4 in and Speakon outs...page 7 of the manual (available here... http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/SVT-3PRO.PDF) shows that the Speakon jack is indeed wired 1+ and 1-.

I couldn't find any info on the cabinet wiring, but I suspect that the Speakon is 1+ and 1- also, so you couldn't turn the cable around.

What you can do (if you have a bridged cable) is rewire 2+ back to 1-...but it might be better to return the cable for the proper one, if this is indeed the problem.

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    The cable you bought is probably a bridging cable for a SVT Pro 4 amp.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I just looked at www.ampeg.com and found the following info...

Cable AFR6SQ is a 6 ft. Speakon to 1/4 in. cable wired properly for your amp (1+ to 1/4" tip / 1- to 1/4" sleeve).

Cable AMB6SQ is a 6 ft. Speakon to 1/4 in. cable wired for the SVT4-Pro (1+ to 1/4" tip / 2+ to 1/4" sleeve) as both HMZ and I mentioned.

There is a chart in the cables section of Ampeg's web site (I went to site map then found accessories, then cables) that tells you exactly what to use.

To simplify:

SVT-3PRO HOOKUPS
    CONNECTORS
    APPLICATION HEAD TO CABINET CABLE MODEL
    Full range mono 1/4" 1/4" ASC146
    Full range mono Speakon 1/4" AFR6SQ
    Full range mono 1/4" Speakon AFR6SQ
    Full range mono Speakon Speakon AFR6S2