Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVP1600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottomdweller70, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Anyone have an opinion of the Ampeg SVP1600? How does it fair against other power amps in the price range in terms of performance?

Thinking of going the rackmount preamp/power amp route and needed some input on some TalkBass approved gear.

2. Nobody has used/heard this amp?

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well.... I dont think there are any power amps in it's price range. I could buy a pair of QSC RMX1450's at the price the SVP1600 is at, and still have money to treat my entire band to a meal at Red Lobster.

Look elsewhere for a power amp. QSC, Crest, Stewart, and Crown are the best brands to take a look at.

I would recommend the QSC RMX1450... mainly because it has a similar range in power that the SVP1600 has. And it's only $400 brand new. :D

If you want something lighter weight, then look at QSC's PLX Series. But I'm pretty sure the SVP power amp is really heavy anyways.

4. Do the majority of those amps have 1/4" outs or do any have speakon outs?

Is there any advantage/disadvantage of going the rackmount preamp/amp route as opposed to a single amp unit?

5. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    The SVP1600 is an overpriced piece of trash imo. I played through one that was set up as backline at a festival and it delivered some of the quietest wattage I've heard. Granted I haven't put a lot of time into them.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've never heard one, and I can already tell you its overpriced.... $900 for 1200Watts?.... Jeez :meh:

Most of the Power amp brands I mentioned above have outputs for Banana plugs and Speakon, I believe. I can really only atone to the PLX and RMX models... but I'm pretty sure that 1/4" would really be insufficient for anything over 1000Watts.

Any Advantage? Yep...
    1. More Power for Less money
    2. More Power PERIOD. If you really wanna go nuts, I've never seen a head that can deliver 2000+ Watts.
    3. More tone options: You can change preamps affordably
    4. Weight (If you buy certain models)

7. What is the word on Carvin power amps?

8. Anyone ever play with Carvin amps? Seem reasonably priced for what they offer.