Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT-115E Speakers? *Ampeg Insider*

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by karrot-x, Jan 29, 2005.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    So awhile ago I posted that I had punctured my 115E's speaker. It's been a long time since I've had it working, I need to replace it with the exact same model that it came with. Does anyone know the make/model and/or where to get it?

-- Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to mention I bought it new from Guitar Center in December of 2003, so I'm guessing it's less then 2 years old from the factory.

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Bump, here's a pic.

[​IMG]

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I would find an electronics repair center that recones drivers and have them order a kit for that driver. You'll have to do some homework to see if it's cheaper to pay for the kit and labor or just buy a new driver.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    If I'm not mistaken, I think Ampeg uses Eminence drivers in their cabs. My brother recones speakers and that's what he's said in the past.

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Thanks for the reply, I did some searching on the boards and noticed that most people said it's better to just buy a new speaker because of the cheaper prices of speakers and the amount a recone job will cost. I'm guessing it'll cost me ~80 to recone it and ~120 to just get a new speaker.

I should also mention that I plan on selling this cab in a few months, which is the smarter to do, recone or new speaker?

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ebay it or sell it here, whichever comes first. I think I'd like to sell it here, there's no problems with it other then the punctured speaker :).

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    IMO, I would repair or replace it as inexpensively as possible. Of course, if I'm buying it, I'd want to know if there was anything wrong with it. :)

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Did you mean maybe the SVT-15E?

If so, that uses an 86-511-08 8 ohm cast frame 15. Looks like that's what you have. Service has them in stock.

That's a nice driver, VERY good highs for a 15.

I am not familiar with recone options on it, but if you go that route, be sure it is an OEM cone. It's too nice a driver to mess up with a bad recone.

Sorry, the warranty ain't gonna help on that one..... misdirected boots are outside the terms......

11. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I did some research and some number crunching, and based on the T/S params for the Ampeg driver, a very good replacment would be the Delta Pro 15A. It'll go as high as the Ampeg and with a little more excursion capability. The downside is that it would cost more than a local recone. So you have at least three options now - Ampeg part, recone, or new driver.

Nightbass

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Thanks for all the help guys. Thanks Ampeg Insider for telling me, I figured warranty wouldn't cover me ramming it into a sticking out piece of wood :(.

13. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    thanx night bass.. have one of these 86 511 08 speakers and maybe I will try it in my svt B15e instead of the BW 1502 that came in it used! One Guy said the Delta 15a is the modern replacement for this Cab.. am a bit confused, since the Delta !5A (nonpro) has a stamped steel frame and the 86 511 08 is cast aluminum

14. High Camp

High Camp Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Is there a difference in performance regarding stamped steel frame vs cast aluminum?

15. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    aluminum should dissipate heat quicker, and also interfere less with the lines of flux from the magnet...