Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg SVT 4 Pro direct out problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DRN, Mar 18, 2004.

1. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I just bought a SVT 4 Pro and tried it out for the first time tonight. I used to run a line out to a Behringer B300 or something as a direct bass monitor for the drummer. I ran out of the direct out of my SWR SM900 right into the Behringer and it was loud with plenty of signal. When I try to do the same thing with the Ampeg I get a very very weak signal. I played with the stereo/mono switch and the pre/post switches and had the front panel level pot all the way up. I had to turn the Behringer all the way up and it still could not be heard over the drums. I have heard most car sterio's louder then this. Is this weak signal from the direct out normal for the Ampeg or do you think something is wrong. If that is all the direct out is I can not even see any use to use it for the front of house send. That sucks.

Please set me straight or let me know it may have a problem.

If the above paragraph does not make sense I am sorry it is about 1:20am and I just got home from practice and I have not slept much in two days. I had to do this now since I am frustrated.

Thanks for any input.

Dave

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have not had any such problem with the DI on mine. I use it for running to the snake all the time and it comes through loud and clear through the PA. I set the level on the front at about the 2:00 position,BTW.

3. My Di out has very low signal also. The sound guy's always ask me to turn it up. I now just leave the di out volume at full blast. They seem just fine with that, and I always end up good in the house mix.

4. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Something must be wrong cause I have mine all the way up and I only get a very weak signal. I have to turn up the monitor and that has a 300 watt amp.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I assume you are talking about the balanced line out?

They originally had a very hot output, and most people didn't like that (some did).
    If the board had low quality preamps, they couldn't handle the line level, so we reduced the output level for those outputs.

If you are running to a board, those are correct.

If you want to directly drive an external power amplifier, they may not be hot enough, they aren't intended for that.

For running an external power amp directly, the preamp out will be a better choice since it is about 12dB higher level.

6. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Gotcha,

I have a few questions about the pre amp out.

Does this have any volume control like the balanced out? Is the level out of the pre amp out dictated by the master volume? I tried the pre amp out and did not get anything. I had the master volume down so I could hear only the monitor and not my rig (I also tried all options with the main speakers on as well) Nothing. I do not see anything in the manual about switches or anything.
    Is something wrong or is it operator error?

Thanks,
    Dave

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It is the same signal as is going to the internal amp, so yes it follows the master, etc.

BUT there is a better idea.

Re-reading, it seems you are using a powered speaker for a monitor. I misread it as a power amp.

The B300 powered speaker has a line and mic input, and the mic input should be fine, with its -24 dBv sensitivity.

In fact, that is pretty similar to running it to the board, so that ought to do the job with room to spare.

The B300 line input is only +4 sensitivity, and might be weak as you mention.

8. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Thanks I will try switching it from line input to mic input. I will let you know.

Thanks,
    Dave

9. Tim VDL

Tim VDL

Aug 8, 2011
    I have the same problem with my svt4-pro output power. I took it back to the store to have it tested, but there wasn't anything wrong. They even gave me the correct settings to use this amp on a mixing-table. But everytime I get the same reaction of the PA-guys. Your output sucks and then they show up with an external DI, problem solved. Is there something like banlanced or unbalanced cables? Could this be the problem?