1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-4 Pro Meets Hartke Hydrive 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AsaBass-A, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Hey y'all,

It has been a long time since I've been 'round these parts, so forgive me if I am posting/asking questions about something that may have been talked about before. Also, I hope everyone is doing fan-freaking-tastic as we crank up the low end for 2016.

So, I just got reunited with my '97/'98 Ampeg SVT-4 Pro after, oh, 6 years. Though I am excited, I was just curious if anyone knows if it is recommended to couple this behemoth with my Hartke Hydrive 410 and if so, what are some solid settings for such a combo (bi-amped, mono-bridged, etc)? Previously, I used the SVT-4 with an Ampeg 810 (mono-bridged) with no problems.

I have been out of the speaker cab/amp/power game for some time as I have been focusing on acoustic playing (acoustic/electric 4-string and upright action). Getting back to the electric game is seemingly more technical and difficult than I remember. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated as I recharge my brainnasium. Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. cdBuckeye

cdBuckeye

Aug 26, 2012
    Tulsa
    To start, I would suggest using the full range A (or B) amp output with your 410 cabinet.

As you already know, the SVT-IV Pro can be more complicated to set up than other amps, because of its flexibility.

Have fun and let us know if you have any more questions about getting this set up.

Happy New Year,
    C.D.

AsaBass-A likes this.
  3. cdBuckeye,

Thank you very much. I will try it out tomorrow for rehearsal and will post my thoughts later in the evening.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I suggest doing the mono-bridging with the correctly wired speakon cable. Listen for sign of distress and you should be just fine. Don't increase the 33hz EQ slider heavily either especially at gig volumes. It's a sure fire way to run out of headroom. Set the Gain knob so it is constantly flashing red when you play. Mostly a "signal" LED. I am sure you knew about the Gain knob, but just wanted to remind you as you have not played your 4 PRO in quite some time. Have fun.

AsaBass-A likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it were me, I'd probably just use one side.

6. Gearhead17 and Dennis Smith:

Taking a look at the manuals for both the SVT-4 PRO and the HyDrive 410, something like this Bridged Mono Adapter NL4FX to NL4MX 12/2 6 inch should work, right? That cable has the necessary +1 (pos), +2 (neg) for the amp end and +1 (pos), -1 (neg) for the cab end (for mono/bridging purposes).

JimmyM:

I noticed that early on but I believe the amp will be limited to an 8ohm standard (so not the full 1600w will be powered through) seeing as the power rating for the HyDrive is 1000w @ 8ohm. I mean, I'm no electrician but I THINK it should be a-o-k as long as I have some compression going out to the cab and the limiter on for any potential amp problems. Again, not 100% but I am not planning on maxing out the master in any case. I just want this combo to work for gigs and rehearsal WITHOUT shooting the speakers across the room...lol :bassist::eek::help:

7. Yes, it does. That link is for a speakon to speakon adapter with the right polarity for a mono-bridged setup on the amp end. Using a +1, -1 on both ends could do some damage.

8. Manual for the SVT says +1 (pos), +2 (neg) on the amp end and +1 (pos), -1 (neg) on the cab end.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Eh, not really :D That's the wattage that would case them to blow, but fartout level is much lower. I've yet to see a 410 that can do better than about 400-500w.

bassinflorida and sissy kathy like this.
  10. Now I'm just hopeless...lol

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well if you keep your volume at a level that doesn't blow them, you could use a 5000w amp bridged no problem :D And if you want to bridge your 4 Pro, there's probably no harm in doing so as long as you don't have an itchy volume finger. And some people do like the extra headroom you get with high wattage. But when I give advice on here, I tend to err on the side of caution because some of these people on here are maniacs!

Dennis Smith likes this.
  12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Maybe I'm just old, but I don't even want to be in the same room with a 410 that is being driven to its limit.
    Let alone a Hartke Hydrive.

All you crazy kids with your music so loud you need earplugs to hear it safely.
    Back in my day we used earplugs so we didn't have to hear things at all.

13. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I like Sabbath, crank that up!

Dennis Smith likes this.
  14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri

WHAT?

No! I've never been to Pakistan?

Sorry, I'm hard of hearing after I went to that Black Sabbath concert in high school.

Bass 45 and Dennis Smith like this.
  15. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago"

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I've played a 410 hydrive a couple times, I'd like to see what 410 can take more. that's gonna be the next cab purchase for me. 8ohms though. if you strung two of those from a bridged 4 Pro it'd be physically painful

16. Ok y'all, sorry for the long pause between posts but I have figured it out!

I ran a slough of tests on the Power Amp A and Power Amp B sides with a +1, -1 Speakon (standard). I used two different active basses and a passive bass. At first I found that the sound was good - NOT great. I tested the lows by themselves (almost blowing up the Hartke, mind you), the mids by themselves, and the highs by themselves. I found that the Hartke can handle pretty amazingly at relatively high volumes and light compression (in its neutral state - that is NOT using the horn or the -6db cut). I then ran another series of tests blending lows and highs, lows and mids, and mids and highs. I had the most problems blending lows with anything. I then ran both tests again with the "ultra hi," "ultra low," "bright," "EQ" and "Limiter" features. I found that blending the lows after setting the mids and highs to my desired levels was the way to go, seeing as bringing up the lows afterward informed the response of my desired levels of the mids and highs. Strange, I know.

Then...

Then I received my Bridged Mono Adapter a few days later from the good people at Pro Cables N Sound. That cable is wired +1, +2 at the amp end and +1, -1 at the speaker end, which, for all you SVT-4 owners, is HIGHLY recommended (not just by me but also the people over at Ampeg : Frequently Asked Questions QUESTION #7). AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I went ahead and used it, running similar tests but, my god, the sound turned from good to EXCELLENT. Now I have full power and range running through the Hartke. I have to be careful for "farting" or blowouts obviously but I have dialed in all my settings near perfectly and I have no issues whatsoever even with the master getting up there. I have the Hartke in NEUTRAL, compression and the limiter on the SVT-4 ON with the Gain at 80%. Everything runs smooth as can be.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to check this thread out and gave advice. I so appreciate it! I will post anything worth mention with this set-up as I find anymore issues or breakthroughs!

Gearhead17 and Dennis Smith like this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021