1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 4 Pro settings , also is this head very mid focused?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shoulderpet, Feb 3, 2017.

1. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Hi All
    I have band practice tomorrow and the studio we are practicing in has an Ampeg SVT4 Pro, I remember last time we used this place that there was something slightly disagreeable in the mids that I could not quite dial out, i can only describe it as being kind of boinky sounding mids rather than growly mids. I wanted to ask if anybody else found this amp head very mid focused and also to ask what peoples preferred settings on this amp are.
    For reference I tend to favour a fairly bright aggressive tone

2. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I have always liked mine completely "flat" with no Ultra buttons engaged. I dont really feel its "overly" mid-focused.o_O:)

Maybe it's the cab that's wonky?

3. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Maybe, the cab is a 4x10 (Peavey) so this probably further accentuates the mids
    I did also notice that the 600hz slider has snapped off so maybe it is permanently stuck on full

4. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    There is an "EQ bypass" button, maybe give that a try.

Depending on the model, I feel most Peavey 410s are pretty decent,... hhmmm.....

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Definitely turn off the EQ if the 600 hz slider is broken. And I agree that it's not especially mid focused. Can be, but the dials and EQ give you a lot of play to tailor the mids to your liking...unless the 600 hz slider is broken and moved all the way up :D

6. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    ok thanks, if that is the case then I can restore the tonal balance by switching off the eq.
    if i maxed all of the graphic eq sliders and adjusted the gain to balance the signal that would also have the same effect as everything flat as well wouldnt it? (just curious)