1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-6PRO.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chasegriff, Feb 27, 2008.

1. chasegriff

chasegriff

Nov 19, 2007
    Any opinions?

2. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Don't have much experience with them besides listening to them. My opinion being they're warmer and have more presence in a band situation than the SVT-4Pro

3. They're great.
    Heavy.
    Loved the EQ- prefer it over the other Pro's.
    Sounds like a 3 Pro on 'roids.
    :bassist:

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I just sold mine. It's a very good, competent amp. It's really versatile. I was just at a point where I "liked" it, but didn't "love" it.

I do think it's a bit underpowered for the stated wattage. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it isn't VERY loud. I never ran out of headroom with it. I just base the opinion on the fact that with the same bass, and same cabinet, my Carvin B1500 is about the same volume with the master on 2 or 3 as the SVT 6 was turned almost half way up.

They can be found for a bargain price (I just took a bath on the mine...selling it on ebay) , and I wouldn't hesitate to use one again.

5. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    I LOVE mine.
    It is VERY loud.
    I play mine through an Ampeg 610 and it is AWESOME.
    (Not sure what to say about the "underpowered for the stated wattage" stuff - I have nothing to compare it to - - that seems to be what everyone says - maybe part urban legend by now?)
    I routinely battle 2 full Marshall stacks and a drummer with NO problem.
    I believe I could easily overpower them if I wanted to.

I am actually looking to pick up a smaller head/cab rig right now because the SVT-6 is a heavy beast (40 pounds) and the 610 is no lightweight either
    I wont give either of them up, so it means that I'll have a big rig and a not so big rig...

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I dug the 6pro. Almost got it. The EQ is very usable.

But as stated before, I liked it, didn't love it. But easily Ampeg's best mono amp.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well, if my actual experience ads up to an urban legend, that's cool!

8. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    i like the tone i got from an svt-6pro at GC a little more than the 4pro, but i like how you can hook up two 810e's with the 4...now, if the 6 did 2 ohms, or had a stereo power amp, it would be smokin'...

9. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    I believe what you say is true...But I also believe that when something is repeated often enough, it becomes "true".

I think the SVT-6 may suffer from both circumstances.