1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 7 Pro, 410HLF and 810e QUESTION

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bump9987, Jun 18, 2014.

1. bump9987

bump9987

Jun 18, 2014
    THANK YOU FOR READING, ANSWERING, HELPING

First post, long time reader.

I just bought from Guitar Center a SVT 7 Pro amp and a Classic series SVT410HLF for $1300 + tax. A pretty good deal, I haven't been able to find better online. I'm just outside the 30 day return policy but it's in good shape and I can try to take it back. Also, I should mention after buying the 410HLF I found a vintage 1976 810e 4ohm I bought for $200 that I've had Loud Technologies confirm it is a legit Ampeg, it's just missing the grill cloth and tolex. I like the 7 Pro amp because it's light and I like the built in compression but I'm not sure about it's quality and actually wattage production. The combination of the 7 Pro and 410 is turning out to be not enough headroom and I don't think the vintage 810 will do it either. I'm nervous about the vintage 810 blowing out if I run the 1000 watts from the 7 Pro through it.

I found a Heritage SVT-810e factory restock online for $999 and that's what I want for obvious reasons. I would like to either return or sell the 410HLF and sell the vintage 810 to come up with money for the Heritage 810e. Any advice what I should do?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. bump9987

bump9987

Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  3. Why would you want to mix a 4x10 with a 1X15 for anyway ?

10's and 15's don't have a "sound". In fact, most 1X15's out there will not go any lower or louder then the 410hlf.

4. Exactly what I thought you would say, and that thinking is antiquated and wrong.

Plenty of threads regarding the mixing of cabs on this forum.

5. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    You've just opened a can of worms with the 4x10 and 1x15 pairing, but there's no way that a 7-pro with that 4x10 should be lacking volume at all. What gain settings have you used?

6. bump9987

bump9987

Jun 18, 2014
    Ok that's fine and I appreciate your response but really that has nothing to do with the my current rig, the rig I want or the questions I asked.

7. bump9987

bump9987

Jun 18, 2014
    Fine I edited the post. The gain I haven't turned up much past 12 o'clock because it started to distort. If the 4x10 can handle that much volume why do they even make an 8x10 or 6x10?

8. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    I gigged the 7 pro for about 2 years- loads of power there. I'm not experienced with the 410HLF, but with my Berg 410 the 7 pro was a monster. If a 410 isn't cutting it for you look for more speakers- possibly add another 410 or sell what you have for a larger cab with more speaker surface area.
    By the way- don't worry about the attitude you'll get if you post about mixed rigs- really gets under a few guys skin here and they make it clear anytime anyone posts about one. You got set up and bit the bait....

9. bump9987

bump9987

Jun 18, 2014
    The volume is there but I want the extra headroom and I know the Heritage 810e will be the last cabinet I'll ever have to buy

The attitude doesn't bother me. The laws of attraction exist whether we know it or like it or not. Positive and negative behavior is contagious it's your choice what you want surrounding you. I live an awesome life! Learning everyday!

10. bump9987

bump9987

Jun 18, 2014
    I should probably mention I have the compression turned up to 3 o'clock and sometimes higher. I really dig into the strings, more than your average bear, and I find that it helps eliminate the 'thwack' sound of the strings hitting the pickups.

11. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    yeah, you're really squashing your signal running the comp that high- I never ran it over about 9 o'clock. Try backing it off a bit and see how it rolls... great attitude by the way....

12. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    It's probably the cab. Man I hated that 410HLF, it's extremely scooped sounding, no mids, all low end mush and a good way to be lost in the mix. It should kill with an 810 though. I was really glad when I got rid of the 410HLF that I borrowed. Never again...

rodl2005 and cheezewiz like this.
  13. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa

I have not used your head at all, though that should be plenty for the setup you mentioned. I have, in the past, used compression and have found that it can effect the feel of headroom - at least when using too much. Many years ago I changed my technique to play much softer with higher gain/volume and it is much much better tone wise, more open and dynamic and powerful where needed. Don't get me wrong, I am not a hater of compression, just that for me it took some dynamics and feel of headroom from the presentation and I wonder if that might be part of the problem here.

14. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Yeah, I'm guessing the 410HLF is to blame. Kinda lacks in Mids and I believe mids are where you get your volume.

15. You can put black electrical tape over the pole pieces (magnets) on the pick ups. This'll so the 'clank' of strings hitting them.
    I'd sure try using less comp. This will often take a lot of volume out.
    The 410hlf is renown for being very scooped- lots of lows, not a Lotta mids- which will again rob you of volume and punch.
    The heritage 810 should do wonders

16. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I had a & Pro that I thought was plenty loud with my 76 SVT 810E and if I turned up the comp that high the power seemed to go away. As suggested before turn the comp down and you will get much louder. I also tried a 610 hlf and a 410 hlf HLF must mean heavy low frequencies because the there was not much else those cabs had moved them along quickly.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You could easily blow both the 410hlf or the old 810 with a 7 Pro, especially the old 810, since they're rated for about 250w. The Heritage 810e, however, would likely hold up to it, and as the owner of a 73 810, which is the gold standard for 810 tone, I believe the Heritage is every bit its equal tonewise. Totally worth the price.

18. bump9987

bump9987

Jun 18, 2014
    That's what's up. Ive seen a lot of your posts Jimmy and much respect to you for being on the ball w your responses. If you don't mind me asking, how much would be a fair value to sell my 1976 810 to a fellow thumper?

The best scenario for me would be to get $1000 for both 410 and 810 then pay down the credit card I used to buy the Heritage. I just put them up for $400 and $600 on craigslist hoping to get some action on it

JimmyM likes this.
  19. bump9987

bump9987

Jun 18, 2014
    Is that really what HLF stands for?! Haha excuse my ignorance, I'm pretty much a newbie here but I haven't been able to find/figure it out.

20. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I just made that up I think because that is what they sound like.