1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 7 PRO Peak Light

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hi-End Basses, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Why does my peak light come on sometimes at zero gain? Ampeg suggests that I push in the -15 db, when this happens. However, I do have a BBE Sonic Maximizer that runs through the Send/Return in the back of the amp head, and this is, of course, rack mounted. So I never use the -15 db function. If gain is ever turned up too much, a clip light comes on the BBE, plus, I do use the compression on the amp (which is really a limiter), and that's always at 12:00. So with gain, at 1:00 or 2:00, and Compression at 12:00, the Sonic Maximizer clip light never goes on; given that, I think I'm fine, and the tone is always nice (good chops). Again, my curiosity is about the 7 PRO peak light always flashing with gain rolled completely off ( no volume on Master), just by plucking the E string. Is that normal? Is it a sign that I need to replace the 12ax7? I bought the amp brand new two years ago.
    *Note: the compression is always rolled off, when I check the gain.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What happens when you unplug the BBE?

3. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    It crossed my mind. I've never done that. I'd hate to think it was the BBE.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's only temporary!

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    It is the BBE! What's the solution? Or is it not an issue?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't know much about the BBE, but it sounds like you're slamming your input with it. At any rate, if you're getting a sound you like, have fun.

7. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Thanks, Jimmy!

8. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    One more question; if so, should I engage the -15db? Just went down the rabbit hole, didnt I?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not if you're getting a sound you like without it.

10. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Any chance you're playing an active bass with a hot output? I'm not sure about the SVT-7, but I have the impression its preamp is similar to my SVT-3PRO. And there's one gain stage (with a level-sensing circuit feeding the Peak light) before the Gain control. It's definitely possible for me to light the Peak light with the gain at zero by putting in a hot enough signal.

11. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    could someone enlight me on this BBEmail thing? I've seen many here using that thing.

12. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    These questions can be figured out from reading the manual. :) The block diagram shows the peak light is on the preamp - before the power amp and yes, before the effects loop too. So the BBE can't affect the peak light. The master volume setting doesn't affect the peak light either. Turn down the amp's gain or engage the -15dB switch. By the way, it does not hurt the preamp to drive it into clipping, some people like that sound. :)

http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svt7pro/pdf/sw0787_revb.pdf

13. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Some people think they're brilliant, and others think they're rubbish. (I don't own one)

It's called a Sonic Maximizer, and if you read the company's explanation of what it is and how it works, you will be lied to. I believe it's actually a side chain treble expander. It boosts the amount of treble in a signal, based on the strength of the midrange frequencies. My personal pet theory about why some bass players love them is because it removes some of the dullness that comes from dynamic range compression. (Notice the OP always runs his amp's built-in compressor) So it sort of "un-compresses" the treble in a signal, gives back some of dynamics that compression takes away, because the treble frequencies are an audio cue for our brain of how loud a signal is. So it makes it sound louder without actually being louder.

baxter_x likes this.
  14. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    ok....... I feel it's like reinventing the wheel according to what you describe. But basically that was a bit my point of view about it from the beginning ; )

15. Super Bass

Super Bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2017
    I like running my Turntable through a BBE sonic maximizer!

Hi-End Basses likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Mine too, except I just thought of it as a mid scooper that had a fairly specific way of doing it. But while I'll state my opinion of them if asked, Hi-End didn't ask :D so I won't.

EDIT: Oh gee, I guess I did anyway. Sorry.

Hi-End Basses and baxter_x like this.
  17. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015

18. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015