1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by masher75, Jan 22, 2012.

1. masher75

masher75

May 24, 2010
    I have recently purchased a SVT-CL and was wondering if it was ok to use the unpadded (0) input using a Musicman HH 4 string, if so how hard can you push the gain, so far I have had a quick try in the 0 input but mainly been using the-15 input, secondly being new to valve amps, I have been having the gain set at 8 and I don't seem to get a dirty signal, again should I be using the 0 input? any advice is apprieciated.

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Just plug into the unpadded input and play away. This will not damage the amp and should solve your problem.

3. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    I've used my MM SR5 into the unpadded input for sometime with great results. However, I do have a 5751 tube in the v1 slot which has about 30 percenr less gain that a 12ax7.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my stingray has about the same output level as my passive basses so i never use the padded input or pad switch on any of them.

5. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    John, always interesting to get your input/output on all things bass (and Ampeg.) Do you have a newer EB MM 2 band, 3 band or vintage pre EB MM? That 3 band pre on my SR5 is way hot and I can clip out the Heritage CL Pre to the level of ugliness (even with the 5751 in V1.)

6. I plug Every bass in to the 'normal' input on my Ampeg tube amps. NEver had the need to use the padded input with ANY bass - active or passive.

7. Pads are fer wimmins.

Plug into the ±0, dime the gain, and beat the brakes off it.

8. They are! Tho a male friend of mine had to use em for a while, but I won't go there.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Padded input = desperation move, otherwise unpadded.

10. masher75

masher75

May 24, 2010
    thanks for the advice, I have since plugged in my precision, so how much should these amps distort or how much drive/ overdrive should you get cos I don't seem to get any???
    Any advice?!

11. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    try turning the bass down, mids and treble up.
    the sound is also dependent on the cabinet you use, playing my svtII through a 2x15 cabinet it sounds kinda scooped in the mids, playing through an 810...sounds perfect.

try bass in the 10-11 o clock range, mids in the 3 oclock range and treble straight up to the 3 oclock position.
    then play with the gain and master volume.
    ultra lo and high turned off.
    mid frequencies in the 1 or 2 position...

it'll be loud but it should break up some...

12. masher75

masher75

May 24, 2010
    I use a classic 410 HLF, basically I'm trying to cut through 2 thrash guitarists without muddying their tone without it sounding to parpy.

13. You'll want to back of the lows on your CL then. Those 410HLF's are known for being very boomy on stage due to the porting.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The distortion comes from two sources in a CL...turning up the preamp gain really high, or turning up the amp ridiculously painfully loud so the power tubes distort as well as the preamp tubes. I have played basses that didn't have enough output to get a good head of preamp distortion by cranking the gain, though you can almost always get at least a little with most basses. But if you're not, you can get hotter pickups or add a boost pedal that can drive the preamp harder. Or just get an overdrive pedal...that's what I do. If you want to switch between clean and dirty on a gig, it's the most practical way to do it.

15. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Always start with the normal input. Use the -15db padded input only if you are distorting the input (and don't want to be) no matter how low you set the gain.

16. jobbermania

jobbermania Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Philadelphia PA
    Awesome! YEAH! Great approach for rental cars as well.