1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT Classic or Ampeg PF500, Have you compared/decided?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by huben94, May 23, 2012.

1. Hello,

Had a Pf500 for about 4 months , just recently got a a SVT Classic haven't had much time with the classic but I must say The PF is doing a great job so far and kinda thinking about returning the SVT classic to Guitar Center < 30 days.

Please tell me your experience with having or testing both?

Thanks
    R

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    SVT > PF500

I thought about picking up the PF as a rehearsal head to my SVT but it couldn't hang with it. Others may, and will, disagree, but to me it wasn't even a close comparison.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The PF heads are quite good, but seriously...

:D

4. bassguppy

bassguppy

Jan 8, 2003
    Queens
    Not fair to the PF to compare it to an SVT. My PF500 works dandily as my rehearsal/small gig head.

5. Travis_Bass

Travis_Bass

Jul 8, 2010
    At rehearsal volumes, I think the PF may sound better, but in a medium + sized gig, SVT will be consistent and, well its an SVT. You know it will perform. just my 2 cents, I'm stuck with a 3pro for now, still love it (when I have fresh strings)

6. Bassoballs

Bassoballs

Nov 14, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I love SVT's but I am not a fan of the CL. They sound muddy to me. I do like the new class D amps. I have a micro VR and use it a lot.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    SVT all the way

8. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Owned both... The PF-500 is a very nice sounding amp for the price, but I wouldn't even put it in the same league as a SVT Classic.

9. I'm sorry, but (at least to me) that's like comparing apples to a M1 Tank........:D

Seriously, keep the CL!!!

10. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    The only remotely possible reason I would consider for returning a CL over the PF would be weight. I mean, honestly......

11. Thanks for all the input, I guess the biggest reason is the weight; I have been spoiled with the weight of the PF 500, and currently not playing large venues. Last day of the Guitar Center 30 days return.

12. The SVT is an amp you'll keep for life. Keep it. 10, 20, 30 years from now you'll still be glad you did.

13. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Return the SVT, sell the PF, and buy a 7-Pro ;)

14. If your current rig does it for you, return it while you can get a full refund.

15. bassguy72

bassguy72

Sep 7, 2011
    Ya know Lazarus...that's what I would've said.....but to be honest) I've got the pf500,7pro,and a heritage svt and while all three are great in there respective ways......and with being very weight conscious ......the svt would be the very last thing to go...just my. 02

16. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    I had both at one time. I now have neither. They're very different in my experience. I used the P500 when my SVT was in the shop, which was a lot. It was a great head and drove my 8-10 cab quite well. With my sansamp bddi in front of it I got a very convincing SVT tone. I only sold both after I got turned on to Aguilar gear. I wouldn't mind having another P500 as a practice amp.

17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    One thing to consider;

You will scream WAY louder if the SVT falls off your 810 and lands on your foot.

:bag:

18. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I was quite happy owning both. The PF had a tiny bit more percieved headroom but I liked the tone of the CL better. Ultimately I sold both, the SVT for it's weight on an injured arm and the PF because I liked the ShuttleMax more. I'd love to snag another SVT-II non pro ora VR but the CL and PF aren't on my buy it again list.

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm sure I'm in the minority here but FWIW I owned the CL for a while back and try as I might I never warmed up to it. At that time I owned a B15S, Orange AD200 and the Ampeg V4b and the CL just never got out of the gates. All of them sounded better to my ears than the CL.

I am currently testing out a PF 500. So far I like the tone but it worries me a bit that I have to crank things up a fair bit to get to what I would consider gig level volumes.

20. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    pedro, it's within the amp's design that you turn the knobs a little farther than some to get the tones. Most amps I've ever owned were tapping out by 1/2 on the volume and 1/2 on the master and frankly, it was kind of refreshing using the PF's gain/master setup. It's not as if you're missing out on headroom. Trust me, it will hurt your ears.

I can't comment on the V4B, but the V4BH might have been my least favorite tube Ampeg I've ever played. The CL is probably my least favorite of the big tube SVT's but I have no complaints playing on one. (Worth noting: I have not used a -II PRO)