1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg svt III (usa) vs EBS Fafner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McCarrigan, Feb 17, 2016.

1. McCarrigan

McCarrigan

Aug 29, 2015
    I need to change my bass Head. I thought of these two amplifiers. But I'm not sure which one to buy . The Ampeg is a head made in the 90s in good condition . The fafner just have a few years . I'll play with two Barefaced cabs . I usually play hard rock and blues. What would be your choice? ( I can not try both at once)
    Thanks.

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The EBS heads are brighter, "sharper", and more modern sounding to my ears. At least that is what I thought of that head during my 15 minute demo years ago. Try a few youtube demos on the EBS heads - I feel it is a good place to start. The Ampeg SVT 3 will be warmer sounding overall. Both heads are good.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    McCarrigan likes this.
  3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    IMO, you will do the Barefaced cabs an injustice with either head

4. McCarrigan

McCarrigan

Aug 29, 2015
    Interesting observation ...
    What head would you use?

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I think many would agree that the Barefaced cabinets have been known to sound really good with the Mesa Subway or any of the GK heads (RB series is a bit smoother than MB for me).
    Haven’t read a review but would think the Magellan or new Peavey mini mega amps would also be a good fit.
    I assume you went with Barefaced for portability but also big, rich, tone.
    I love Ampeg and have had many but the III was not one of my favorites.
    If you go EBS, I would have to recommend the Reidmar as the Fafner doesn’t have a great bass (80 Hz.) or treble (10K) center frequency for my tastes.

If the price has to be lower than say $600 (new) than consider a used GK MB500 or 700RB as they can be had at a great price.

McCarrigan likes this.
  6. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I know nothing about your cabs or an EBS head, but I will say the SVT-3 head is great. Especially for rock and blues. Can get very close to a full tube SVT feel when you learn how to work your tube gain and master volume. Also, it has tons of equalization thanks to the graphic EQ.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    McCarrigan likes this.
  7. McCarrigan

McCarrigan

Aug 29, 2015
    The Mesa subway and Reidmar 750 was in my thoughts. But quite leery of digital amps.
    I have known who have had problems in their heads Tecamp, markbass ...
    I get the impression that they are not built to have much life.
    (Mine impressions)

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I don't think so. They're both good sounding heads, depending on the tone you need. They're not light or massively powerful but that doesn't matter to everyone. It's financially less painful to find your required tone through using our cabs either with an amp you already know well, so you have a good reference point, or secondhand amps which you can buy and sell for minimal loss.

tombowlus likes this.
  9. McCarrigan

McCarrigan

Aug 29, 2015
    Finally ... crazy went through my head.
    Yesterday I went to a store in Valencia, they had svt3, EBS and ... SVT2.
    I made a thorough comparison of these heads. The SVT2 sounds as great as its weight.
    But will above all else.
    I'm not a musician every day on the road. Those days are over.
    I bought SVT2. (Heavy and difficult to move) ... but the wonderful tone that I've always wanted to have.
    When I save some money I'll go with "the fridge" ...
    The Barefaced be perfect when I have to go play outside. While in the garage ... SVT2 + fridge. That is the way.

IMG_0225_zpsvug5bssi.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good call! Toobz!