1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT pro 2 or Ampeg V4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jens1, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Jens1

Jens1

Sep 6, 2013
    Hi all,

what are your opinion or taste; which amp for tube rock (or country rock) tone?

Thanks for your replies.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Either. They're both excellent amps, and while the knobs may not match up exactly to each other, you can get the same sounds out of each, although the extra drive circuit of the 2 Pro does give it a tiny bit more versatility if you enjoy overdrive.

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I like the V4B better, lower power allows you to push it a bit further.

4. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Realistically, you will use the V4B most often if you had both (like I do). I am re-thinking my amp usage since I injured my back lifting my SVT 2, and now there is a new lighter V4B that can do 90% of the stuff that I get myself into....

5. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I had both. I kept the 2 Pro. As JimmyM said, it can do more stuff than the V4B. And it's 300W versus 100... Has a DI. Has a graphic EQ with a level boost (that you can bypass).

I'd do the same again (take the 2 Pro) - unless you just want to play at medium-to-medium-loud volume with a bunch of power tube grit in your sound, in which case, the V4B would be better for that. But, between the Master/Gain setup on the 2 Pro and the Drive knob, you can get a lot of grit without a lot of volume.

To me, the biggest problem, if you're looking for that certain power tube crunchy sound, is that there's more or less one volume on the V4B where you'll get it. If that's too loud for the room you're in, you'll have to turn down and lose that sound. If it's not loud enough for the room you're in, you have nowhere to go.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I've been around the SVT - V4 wheel a few times. I had an SVT-CL, bought a V4. Liked the lower power drive tone and overall vintage vs new production tone so I sold the CL. Traded my V4 for a vintage SVT to get that nice loud/warm sound with plenty of clean headroom since I usually use pedals for my dirt anyhow. Recently picked up another V4. I do like having options. If you don't need to be super loud or have a large enough cab then the V4 is a great amp for that classic ampeg tube sound. If you can deal with the weight and impedance requirements, it's really hard to beat the feel and sound of an SVT at your back.

7. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    what he said.

8. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    I have both (SVT 2 non pro). I love both and never will get rid of either one of them. The v4b sounds better.

That said. The SVT gets more gig time because of the extra headroom is useful in a loud rock band.

For small rooms, the v4b is wonderful.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm not getting rid of either, either, but as much as I love my SVT's, the V4B's really all I need. Don't mind the 44 lb. weight reduction from the SVT of the new V4B, either. But I do love the SVT for when I want to make a statement ;)

10. I don't hate them at all but im not an ampeg guy. Sorry to all who are. I have played both though in practice and in live situations and just sound wise the v4b would take it but the SVT 2 says something special on its own. Also, I play a much louder style of music and the v4 just didn't have enough head room. I'm going to say the age old bull and tell you to try them both out if you can. If not im going to vote for the 2 pro since its more versatile and you can almost get the same tone as the v4. Don't just limit yourself to ampeg.... Though i will say if you never own one you will always wonder what it's like.

11. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    I'm a both kind of guy, as well; love my SVT-VR, love my V4-B and plan on keeping both, and if I were to add another head to my backline, it would be a II - pro or non, I think they're both super amps...