1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AMPEG SVT PRO 4 Volume issues (peak/limit lights)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XxWARWICKxX, Jan 26, 2012.

1. XxWARWICKxX

XxWARWICKxX

Jan 26, 2012
    Ok, I have been searching through many of the posts in here and I hope someone can help me out with this reoccurring issue I am having. First off let me explain my rigg running and SVT AMPEG Pro 4 head into 2 1x15(Ampeg BXT 115 and HArtke Hydrive). I have a dbx 266 compressor hooked into the Effects loop, a boss gt-6b floor processor and a seinhiezer wireless system. I use ACTIVE 5 string basses, I play finger style/Slap/fingertapping. Everytime I play my peak light is consistently lighting(especially in the lower range) and my limit light is going crazy. Now I have the -15db setting depressed, I have my wireless output decreased and inorder to keep up volume with my 2 guitarists, vocals and drummer my gain and master are dialed in at 3 oclock... my sound is becoming very distorted. My finger style levels are more prominent then the slap.... please let me know what I can do to correct this problem....

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Two issues, You are using two different 115's which is probably not the worst thing, but you are probably asking too much of them.

I suggest turning the Active switch off, turning your wireless all the way up and adjusting the gain knob until the red peaking light is coming on the majority of the notes you play. Make sure the Ultra Low Switch and other switches are not on. Put the knobs at the noon positions and put the EQ sliders at the flat position.

I would also suggest removing the compressor and the effect pedal first off and see if you can get the amp and your setup to work well for you at this point. If the cabs are still having issues, take the EQ slider labeled "33hz" and decrease it all the way to -15db. The 115 cabs are not putting much low end out anyways. A little reduction at 80hz would help too. If that still does not help you hear yourself, sell off the cabs and get two matching cabs.

Are you boosting the bass knob on your bass? Stop! Just leave the controls flat, master volume 100% and move the pickup blend around.

3. Agree with the "peak" light and either cut back on the compressor or lose it, it is sucking your slap efforts. As far as the master at 100%, don't know if I would agree with that?

4. XxWARWICKxX

XxWARWICKxX

Jan 26, 2012
    thanks guys I messed around with it last night with just the one cabinet (ampeg BXT-115) seemed to work fairly well (that was with no compressor, effects, EQ flat ect...) Im going to wire the other stuff back in tonight when i get home from work and see if the problem persists with jsut the individual cabinet. 2 additional questions, my compressor is a rack space compressor/gate (2 channels) what would you suggest on setting it up effects loop or direct line in (i've heard arguments for both sides)

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I meant the Volume knob on the bass, not the amp.:D

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When I used a compressor, I liked it first in line right after the bass and into the input. Not a fan of loops.

7. (Relieved :D)

You are having trouble with dynamics and you want to put a dynamics sucker back in the loop? Put the compressor in the PA rack, JHMO ;). Work on technique instead of processing?