1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg SVT410he vs Ashdown MAG410 vs ABM410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pattyløve, Jan 1, 2012.

1. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    I currently have a relatively new SVT410he. However a guy I know is offering me an Ashdown MAG410 to play at shows including tour support (which would be really handy as it's a struggle to get a 410 interstate). Kinda like an unofficial endorsement.

My question isnt which is better or what I should buy etc.
    I understand that the MAG series is aimed at a more entry-level market and that the SVT series is cornerstone in bass amplification. But i would like to know how these 2 cabs compare and how well the MAG410 stacks up against the SVT410. What are the tonal differences?

On a slightly seperate note, I've always been curious as to the tonal difference between MAG and ABM cabs.. I've searched the forums with no decent find. Some people say the MAGs are better than the more-expensive ABMs?

2. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    subscribed

3. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    bump

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Is he offering the cabinet for you to use for free,or do you have to buy it? I'd personally stick with the Ampeg myself.

5. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Well he's offering tour support which is the most handy part. I dont usually take my cab insterstate anyway. But regardless, Im keeping the ampeg, my question was what is the tonal difference.

6. I can´t tell you the difference between Ash and Ampeg, but I can tell you what kind of difference I hear between various Ashdown series. Some time ago I had an Ash ABM amp and one ABM (210T Compact) cab and one MAG (115 Compact) cab. I also have experience with MAG 810 and ABM 4x8. I definitely prefer ABM series, because in live situation they have always provided more focused sound than MAGs. But anyway I think that there are better cabs than Ashdown, although I´m a fan of this brand. On the other hand, they are pretty cheap, so you get what you pay for...
    But to answer your question, if there is an option to take ABM, I´d do so. If you can take only MAG, do it, but I suppose in this case Ampeg would deliver better sound. Also, I almost forget that there are new lines of amps and cabs with which I have no experience so far. All Valve - these seem to be a top-notch, most exclusive Ashdown products. Dual Tube - seems like more affordable version of All Valve. BTW, what amp are you going to use on that tour ?

7. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Ah, thanks Jacob.
    So what about the ABM series made them more 'focused'? Did they cut through the mix better? Were the tones noticeably different in a non-band situation?

Yeah I've always guessed i'd be more happy with the Ampeg but with an offer like this, its hard to refuse ^.^

I'm using my Labsystems head (aussie brand)

8. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    The specs on Ashdown's site say the MAG cabs actually go lower in frequency than the ABM's.
    A/B'ing the two 4x10's back when I bought mine, I would say the ABM also had a bit of a low mid hump - a very nice sounding one. I wish I'd had the cash for the ABM cab - there was quite a difference in price then - but I also wanted to use it for DB and thought the lower frequency range would be good - in a loud Rockabilly sort of situation anyway.

9. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    So did you end up getting the MAG, moles?
    How would you describe the sound? Is it still a very decent sound in comparison?

10. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yes - I didn't make that very clear did I? Ha... I have two MAG 4x10's that I've used regularily for 3 or 4 years. I'm honestly at the point where I'm falling out of love with them...but that might have something to do with the SVT fridge that's sitting right in front of them right now ;)
    First thing I'll say is the MAG cabs needed acoustic damping on the internals. I finally got around to adding some poly batting (just bought a bag of the stuff they have at WalMart) on the inside and it was a HUGE improvement. The low midrange got a lot
    more focused - not quite ABM quality but very very close.

As far as a comparison goes: All the Ampeg stuff I've played has been an array of 810's, some smaller combos like the B2 with the 4x8 cab that's at my rehearsal spot right now, and various other small cabs that I never really paid attention to what was in them. Everything was generally paired with an Ampeg amp though so I have no idea how much of this is the cab, and how much of this is the sound of the amp...but the common thread between them all is huuuge low end and a really sweet, chiming quality to the top end. The MAG cabs are quite a bit drier sounding - there is/can be a sweetness to the sound still, but it's in a different frequency range. In a way, the MAG cabs might be a bit less coloured sounding - but that might mean you have to work harder with eq to get the sound you want. Then again with my head, all I generally have to do is bump the low mids up a touch, and maybe lower the mids a bit, and I get my sound.

I've been going through a "hate my cabs - need some Ampeg" thing for the past two weeks btw, so I'm trying very hard to ignore that and give you an unbiased answer here. :)

This is just an educated guess on my part, since I don't have any experience with the SVT-410HE in particular - but judging from the experience I do have with Ampeg cabs and my Ashdown MAG's, you'd probably be mildly dissapointed with the tone of a single MAG 4x10 if things need to get loud. If stage volume is generally low then you'd probably do okay with one MAG - but personally I'd push for an ABM if that's an option. OR if this is a "the gear will just be at the venue when we show up" kind of situation, and you need the volume then ask for two MAG cabs :) I don't really know what the situation is for touring for you - if bringing your cab causes problems across the board - ie, forcing the band to upgrade to a larger vehicle, or getting the band into situations where you might get turned away at the border (sorry I'm not familiar with how the state borders work in Oz) so I can't comment on whether any of this is better logistically than just bringing your Ampeg.