Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMPEG V4B HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Major Havoc, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Major Havoc

Major Havoc

Feb 15, 2005
    I HAVE A AMPEG V4B NOT SURE OF THE YR THOUGH,IT NEEDS NEW TUBES WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS RECOMMEND FOR REPLACEMENTS,AND WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD ALL RUN.I HAVE HAD THIS AMP SINCE 1988 BOUGHT IT FOR A 125$ IT ROCKED,BUT THE TUBES NEED TO REPLACED . ANY INOUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED,ALSO WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD CABINET TO RUN WITH THIS AMP THANKS...... JOHN

2. Why are you convinced the tubes need replacing? Because somebody said so? Because somebody wants to sell you new tubes? Or do you have a real problem?

Do a search, tubes can last many many years. I'm just trying to save you some bucks. Naturally, there's plenty of tube vendors that want to sell you their stuff, even if you don't need them.

P.S. I've got a '74 V4. The original tubes still functioned fine. Though I did retube it, it wasn't completely necessary.

3. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    HEY MAJOR! QUIT YELLING!! ;)

Take your amp to a qualified Ampeg tech- There are a lot of good ones around.
    Have them 'scope it, and evaluate what it needs. Caps, tubes, whatever.
    Then let them tell you what your options are, and what they cost. You need to replace power tubes in pairs, and the amp has to be biased correctly to sound right and perform well with the tubes you choose. Usually they run 6LG6's, or 7027's,
    I don't know if it can or should be run with a KT-88's for example. Costs vary too, depending on the tube mfr, from reasonable to high $$ for exotic NOS tubes. Take it to a good tech!

Cabinets- I run mine with a 4x8 and love it, very focused. A 4x10 would probably be more common,and would also rock.
    Add a 15 and you cover a lot of ground, tonally.
    There's a number of good cabs available- Get your amp looked at BY A TECH then A/B it to see what you like.

Oh, BTW,
    I really like MY V4BH! :D