Ampeg V4B or Fender Bassman 100t?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FIREpunkMEDIC, Jun 2, 2017.

1. FIREpunkMEDIC

FIREpunkMEDIC

Jun 2, 2017
    In the market for a new bass rig. It would either be the ampeg v4b with svt 410hlf classic or Fender Bassman 100T with a Pro Neo 410. Playing a punkish style in the vein of Social Distortion by little more up tempo, not by too much though. Thoughts in either direction?! Two guitars, one an Orange Rockerverb mkiii 2x12 combo 50w and one Orange 2x12 with a Tiny Terror BTW...

Cheers!

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I normally favor the V4b over the 100T, having owned both, but for what you are playing I would suggest the 100T/410neo combination. You will get a more aggressive grind from the 100T and I would at any time prefer the Fender 410 neo cab over the Ampeg 410hlf.

3. I agree with tim1 about the fender being easier to get a grind out of. The problem is that it is a short path between grind and crappy distortion with the Fender. If you have to get loud , you may easily get past the grind and into the crappy distortion. If you don't have to get too loud , the Fender may be the way to go. The ampeg will grind if you set it up correctly and it's sound will also stay tolerable even if you have to get pretty loud. The hlf is a bit boomier cab but for your type of music , this may be a good thing also. So I guess I really didn't help you much here. I still think I would prefer the ampeg anyway. I'd rather have more rig than necessary than less and you can crank the ampeg harder without getting into the crap zone. Then again , that may be the sound you are looking for. Oh great , now I'm gonna toss another worm into your hamburger. That hlf is a whole lot heavier than the neo. This isn't helping much , is it?. I'm going to bed now. Good luck.
    edit: Try to listen to both and see which one suits you best.

P-oddz and FIREpunkMEDIC like this.
  4. FIREpunkMEDIC

FIREpunkMEDIC

Jun 2, 2017
    Well, I don't need a pristine clean fur sure as a little drive helps cut and give a little aggression. However, we certainly are not I to sludgy/stoner/doom. Well, we don't play that style thought occasionally it hits just right too. We are More Social Distortion/Hot Water Music/Bouncing Souls type of stuff.

5. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I would choose the V4B with another cab, for instance the SVT212AV, I really love that cab (or two SVT112AV cabs, which amounts to the same thing).

IME, IMHO, YMMV

GregC, P-oddz, ezra1 and 3 others like this.
  6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Agreed. The 410HE would be my choice over the 410HLF if sticking to an Ampeg 4x10 format.

7. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009

I would choose the v4b as well and would also recommed the 212av cab. I just picked up the 212 cab and it sounds really good, it's ported but has the sealed cab tone! The newer 410hlf cabs (I heard) have improved mids over the older SLM era cabs (lack of mids). I would also recommend the ampeg 610hlf, again the newer cabs sound great, this was my main giging cab for the past couple years. I had the fender SB (300w) version and two 410 pro neo cabs for a wile. It could get lots of different tones and really good sounding ones...but I was always trying to get the ampeg sound and I could not get it with this setup. I would also say if your looking for the ampeg sound get an ampeg, like wise if looking for the fender sound. Yes amps and cabs can get close to other's sounds but nothings like the real thing.

P-oddz, ezra1, Dp1363 and 1 other person like this.
  8. FIREpunkMEDIC

FIREpunkMEDIC

Jun 2, 2017
    Well, I completed the rig! Oh, also upgraded from a 50s Road Worn P to an American Standard P whe I was at it!!!!

Attached Files:

High Camp and Linnin like this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Perfect! You have chosen wisely @FIREpunkMEDIC :woot:

FIREpunkMEDIC likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021