1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg vs. GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ragnavalo, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Ragnavalo

Ragnavalo

Jul 10, 2007
    Miami,Florida
    Im in serious need of a head, I run a svt 410hlf cab and a ampeg 350h head,I just cant get the tone I like out of the 350h
    so im thinking either
    Ampeg 450h
    Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II
    Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
    Ampeg b2-re
    Which head is the best for just an all around bass sound
    I play jazz and hardcore(like heavy music )
    Which do you recommend and why?
    Thanks in advance

2. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    It's going to be hard to get a decent "sound" out of the 350H head. The solid state head (while not bad) doesn't equate to that good old "tube" amp sound.

I would highly recommend the SVT3Pro for that cab. There are a great many guys here who absolutely SWEAR by that combination. I, too, have used the 3Pro and I can tell you that while it's not a "high Power" amp, it will give you the "sound" that you may be looking for. But again, that "sound" is a subjective thing.

Try out a number of combinations and (obviously) make the choice (whether it be Ampeg, GK, or whatever,) based on YOUR ears. We can only offer suggestions here. The real test, is what appeals to YOU!!

Good Luck to you!

3. Ragnavalo

Ragnavalo

Jul 10, 2007
    Miami,Florida
    Ty, also add in the swr working pro heads
    my basic sound I want is like clear highs
    yet with nice lows
    and loudness doesnt matter, but my price range is max around 800

4. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Steer well clear of those two Ampeg offerings. I have owned a B2-RE and was dissapointed. The GK 1001 would be by far the best out of the heads you have mentioned.

5. Ragnavalo

Ragnavalo

Jul 10, 2007
    Miami,Florida
    whats the tone like on the 1001?

6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    For a while I had that cab. I used it with my SVT3Pro and a GK 1001rb2 (should've kept the GK) for about two months. I recently sold the cab due to its weight, but it sounded great with the GK, much better than the 3Pro IMO. With the 5string button in (low end boost) I could easily fill up the stage in my metal band. Never tried it in my blues band, the 410hlf seemed like overkill in that situation.

7. The SVT350 & SVT450 are just the B2R & B2RE amps-exactly the same except in a SVT box-the B2R/E are just rack versions of the SAME amp! Yes the SVT3PRO is a GOOD combo with the SVT410HLF cab, & if U like the AMPEG sound then that is what I'd reccomend. The GK's are GREAT amps also... up 2 U which suits U best... try em ALL out if poss. WITH yr cab !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!