1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg vs SWR

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by nevs, Apr 13, 2006.

1. nevs

nevs

Apr 12, 2006
    Hi,

I've got an Ampeg SVT 200t (250 at 8ohm; 350 at 4 ohm)with a 410HLF cab (4ohm).

To get more power, I wanted to add an Ampeg 210he cab but it has 8 ohm so there I go with the impedance.....:crying:

I'm thinking about gettin' rid of the Ampeg amp and buying a second hand SWR RED FACE amp (450 Watt at 2 Ohm
    350 Watt at 4 Ohm, 240 Watt at 8 Ohm).

Any comments, good choice, bad choice????:help:

Thanks;)

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Your profile doesn't say, but I suspect you may be lost. Doublebasses are the big ones that look like violins.

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    nevs, welcome to TB!

Are we talking upright bass here, or electric? Just wanted to make sure. An Ampeg stack would be kinda radical for some ... check that ... all of the upright gigs I do. I play mostly straightahead or "classic jazz" as it seems to be called these days.

P.S. If you can fill out your profile under "My Talkbass", it gives us all a better idea of your gear, preferences, etc.

[ Hehe ... Troy, you beat me to the punch ... Just barely. Your post was funnier than mine BTW. ]

4. nevs

nevs

Apr 12, 2006
    Haha....

Really?? check my profile.....:D

Can you help me now???

5. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Wow, 350w into a 4x10 cab is not giving you the power you need for doublebass. Don't know, but I'd love to see one of your gigs. I would think that more power rather than more speakers would be the way to go, but if you did complete the stack it would be cooler when you did the flying scissorkick off of it.

Let us know.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Check it out man. He's in the Hellsonics.

Sorry dude. Just couldn't resist.

Aw sh%^. What do I know. You probably gets 10 times the gigs, 20 times the $, and 100 times as much sex as I do with my "American Songbook" gigs.

Maybe someone else more atuned to the Lee Rocker thing will help us out here.

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    For what you are doing that is a better choice. The SWR will sound a bit bottom heavy but the EQ is good enough to roll off bass and give you the volume you need before it howls to much. Use some sort of preamp on that Underwood. Find one that has phase reversal, it will give you more gain before feedback.

Might want to keep the 410 and use a different head. You need more power to do what you are trying to do. Like 400 to 600 watts at 4 ohms. Maybe you'd like the Euphonic Audio iAmp 800 with that cab. You'll sound closer to a DB with that than the SWR or Ampeg which are voiced more for electric bass.

Put a piece of foam between the top and the tailpiece, it will quiet down the feedback you're going to get at those volumes.

Get the cab up off the floor a bit so it uncouples with the floor. That will get rid of some of the howl and rumble and get you more gain before feedback.

Check out www.rockabillybass.com There is a bit more info on DB in a rock context.

8. nevs

nevs

Apr 12, 2006
  9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I don't play DB in the same context as you. I'm old and fat and stodgy.

With the Double Bass I use a Walter Woods Ultra for all my DB gigs. The iAmp is a backup for that. That amp as it is really hard to find for most people. The SVT I use only for the Fender Bass gigs and usually when I'm playing brutally loud.

There is a big difference between the old all tube SVT and the solid state 200. You could use the old all tube SVT and have a fantastic sound throught that 410 of yours if it is easier to get than the iAmp.

10. nevs

nevs

Apr 12, 2006
    Uncletoad, YOU ROCK !

I'll try to get an amp of no less than 600 watt at 4 ohm, right?
    If it also would support 2 ohm, I can still join up a second cab :hyper:

Would you have a picture by any chance of what you mean by "foam between two pieces"?:eyebrow:

Thanks man!!

11. nevs

nevs

Apr 12, 2006
    Hi, me again,

Would the Ampeg SVT II Pro do the trick??
    He wants to exchange it with my SVT 200t + cash.

How much would it be worth?

Sorry for the many questions, but you know what you're talking about!

12. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yes the SVTII pro is very good.

Keep in mind that although I've tried my double bass through an SVT I never gigged with one. Your questions are more appropriate for those that have. It may be more hassle than it's worth.

Having said that;

Be sure its tubes are in good health. If they aren't make sure that you can get replacement tubes for it. Having tubes is a whole other bunch of maintenance problems. Be sure you want to go there before you plunk down the dough.

If you travel with tubes a road case is crucial. They will get damaged in even light travel without a well fit foamed roadcase. When I used to travel with one I noticed I got an extra year or two out of my power tubes with the case. I usually got 2 years service from a set of power tubes. The toadcase gave me an extra year or so.

I'm not up on the relative values of those things so you may want to consult others about the specifics of your deal.

You may want to try out the rig before you buy it as well. It's quite a powerful horse and can sound terrible and be very user unfriendly with a Double Bass. Conversely if you can set the rig a good distance away from your bass and do the other feedback resistance things you'll have a brutally good sound. Not really double bass sound from a traditional standpoint of course but much cooler than a tiny guitar.

I'll see what I can do about the picture of the foam. Basically you want to stick something between the tailpiece and the top that keeps the tailpiece from doing it's job (vibrating). Some people use small nerf footballs. The preamp on the Underwood with phase reversal will be paramount with the SVT. Set the cabinet so it never really gets to blast directly at the back of your bass. The back oscillates like crazy when you hit it with a loud amp.

Having said all that you may want to go the other way. Use something really small as a stage monitor. Maybe even disguise it in something huge so you don't loose the look on stage. Relying on the PA to do you dirtywork can be even better. Sometimes trying to get a stage amp to fill the room can be harder than if you just get something small to monitor yourself and let the soundperson mess with it.

I'd try that before I spend a bunch of dough too.

Apologies to all my jazzbo friends. I don't mean to frighten you. I still have a few long hairs left.

13. nevs

nevs

Apr 12, 2006
    What about the ASHDOWN MAG-600R ????

That should do it!! 600 watt through the 410HLF ??

SVT II PRO far to expensive.......

14. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Here I am in this thread again. First of all, none of the stuff you're talking about makes sense in my context of DB sound, but I'm convinced now that it is a thing, I'm just missing it, so I'll just say:

I love Ashdown. When I used to play more EBG, I had an Ashdown head and was really happy with it. I demoed a few others and liked them even more. Tons of clean headroom, totally reliable and I agree that quality for the dollar is compelling.

Rock Freakin' On, my friend!!!

15. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Excellent choice. I'd go with that too.
    Yea its not very acoustic minded. The bass in this context is more schtick than acoustic tone. Its a sound more like an electric upright but those things look as stupid as a plank on these gigs. Its a non traditional use of a very traditional instrument. That's not a bad thing even though the jazz and orchestral folks that make up the majority of this boards people may find this whole discussion distateful.

16. nevs

nevs

Apr 12, 2006
    Ok , many thanks to all!

Hope I didn't "shock" too many DB players with my way of tuning the DB! :eek:

I'll test the MAG at the store and IF it would interest you I can tell you about the outcome....:eyebrow:

Cheers mates!!

17. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I used to be much more of a bad ass. This pic was taken about 25 years ago when I was in a post-punk new wave band called Nasty Habits.

My amp - 70's SVT head and 8x10 cab, of course. A rig like that would fix you up nevs.

That's either really bad lighting or it's black eye makeup I was wearing.

Or maybe I was just really ... tired (hehe), despite all the stimulants I customarily ingested at the time.

Attached Files:

18. nevs

nevs

Apr 12, 2006
    Hi there,

I'm back from the store.....

I tried the Ashdown MAG 600, Ashdown BMA 350, Ampeg SVT 4 pro AND THE LMK MARK BASS !!!!

WOAW...that last one just blew me away!
    Unbelievable sound AND power. It has got the dual channel so I can easily connect my Slap AND BASS separately!

The Ashdown 600 didn't give me the sound at all! Too nasal!
    The BMA 350 was much better but when you take the 500 watt version, it gets too expensive for me....
    Ampeg = too expensive, nice sound .

I'm looking now to buy the Mark Bass!!!!!

Any reviews, comments, experiences??:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

19. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Tons of them. There is actually an entirely seperate thread going on them. Check it out.

20. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Sounds like you found your amp. If you haven't already I'd try it with your bass and cabinet.

I have no experience with them. From what I read they are worthy.