1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg vs tc electronic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZombiBoi95, Jul 14, 2014.

1. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

Dec 6, 2013
    Looking for a 410 cab, I've narrowed it down to the ampeg svt 410hlf and the tc electronic 410 rs. I've herd a lot of good things about the ampeg but they seem to sell quite expensive. From what I've seen the tc don't look too bad either and a benefit from the tc is that later I could get a matching 2x12. Bergantino and epifani are simply too expensive. If you can recommend any other decent cabs. That would be helpful and what cab would u pick of these 2.

2. What is your budget, size, volume, and tonal needs? Also what amp are you using?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can get a matching 212 from Ampeg too, but will they actually match up? Using mismatched cabs is a crapshoot whether or not they work well together, while matched cabs always work.

The cab you choose all depends if you like the big giant lows that the 410hlf gives you, or if you like the more rolled off lows of the 410he. The TC cab sounds a lot more like the 410he than the 410hlf. Personally, I'd get the 410he over either of them ;) but it's definitely an apples/oranges comparison between the two.

4. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

Dec 6, 2013
    The head I am currently using is an ashdown evo 500 which I will be changing soon hopefully to a tc electronic rh450/750 or an ampeg svt 3/7 or a pf500. Yeah ino ampeg and tc again. I like the lows that the ampeg hlf gives. Also thinking of mabye getting a 5 string so the hlf would be ideal for that right? I could probally get away with 400 watts of power. I also use a fender jazz bass and love the full tone of that. I misty run everything flat on an amp and boost what I need to.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, a lot of 5-stringers and downtuners dig the big lows. I don't need them but it is rather popular with those who do a lot of low notes. And yeah, you could definitely raise a ruckus with 400w. I used a rented 410hlf with an SVT-VR over the weekend, and that's 300w and would get way loud enough to get me fired ;)

AlexanderB likes this.
  6. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    You should definitely try before you make up your mind. These cabs are rather different from each other. The SVT-410HLF is directed at those that want deep and powerful lows. The lows are accomplished by giving up a bit of sensitivity, which means it requires a bigger amp (or turn up the volume knob higher on the one you have) to reach a certain SPL.
    In the end, it will still get louder than most regular 410s in the market, given you have enough amp to propel it.

7. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with that - I love the HE cabs, but the HLF? Not so much. IME, they sound great by themselves, but wasn't able to get any kind of useful tone from them live. Mud city, if you ask me...

8. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

Dec 6, 2013
    So noone likes the tc?