Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg's 4x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by salvagedbass, Nov 2, 2003.

1. I was cruising on Ampeg's website, looking for some new gear (my current rig was stolen...cabs and head) and I saw that Ampeg is selling 4x12 cabs. I know these aren't that new of a concept (Geezer Butler uses 'em) but I have never seen them on Ampeg's site.

Does anyone own/have owned one?
    What did you like/dislike about it?

Originally I was gonna use a 6x10 Ampeg Cab and head & 4x12 Marshall cab and guitar head using an A/B box or something like that. I love that tone!(very Iron Maiden sounding! \M/)

Does the Ampeg 4x12 get the same mid and high tones?

So far it looks like only big Ampeg dealers have them in stock.

Can anyone help me out?
    thanks

2. Hey dude. Sorry to hear about your 810 :(.

But this is probably more suited towards Amps.

(Edit: I forgot, this isn't the forum I moderate)

3. scottibas

scottibas

Nov 2, 2003
    Monroe,NC
    Played w/ a Hartke 200w head through an Ampeg 4-12. Not a bad setup at all. Highs and lows came through real nice. Depends on what venue you are playing in though. As far as "sound per gallon" I actually preferred the Crate 4-10. Lighter (easier to move around) great bottom end and highs. Also - I used to work for SLM (the people who make Crate and Ampeg)in St Louis. The construction quality on Crate and Ampeg is identical. The biggest difference being Crate uses particle board and Ampeg uses the more expensisve ply-wood. As far as electronics, well there's some difference but nothing that is actually going to make a huge difference if you are playing on stage.
    Hope this helps.

4. Thanks for you input! I really appreciate it!