1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amplifying an Accordion

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Chuck King, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    Anybody dealt with it? One of the gals in my band plays one on a few of our songs. Right now we're just sticking a 57 on a stand pointed at the sound holes on the keyboard side, but it would be nice to come up with something that can capture the button side, too. Has anybody used any accordion mic systems with success, or approached the problem in another way?

2. I used to play in a band with an Irish button accordionist. He used a miniature AKG microphone--I forget the model--clipped onto the right side of the accordion and pointed down toward the right-hand buttons. (He never bothered with micing the left hand, but I'm sure the same approach would have worked.) He also used a wireless system. Worked great. Failing that, a 57 works well IME.

It's also possible to have a pickup put in the accordion. Or to buy one of these:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/FR-7/

;):cool:

3. they used to make an amplifying system called a chordovox iirc.....i remember seeing them around but i can't recall the workings of them

4. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I toured as a soundman with a singer who was also accordeonist.
    I used ATM35 exclusively

For the leaft hand you usually can clip it on the strap and point it toward sound holes.
    For the right hand , I taped it in the middle , in front , pointing to the sound holes , have to pass the cable and leave enough so when it is fully opened , there is enough cable.
    Use "camera" tape , it doesn't leave gummy residues.
    Don't use "duct tape"

5. Hi.

The best way to amplify an accordion is to put up a mic, any mic, and leave the channel off. Better yet, forget that abomination of an instrument somewhere the accordionist can't find it. ;).

God I hate accordions and the sound those things produce.

Anyway, when I did sound back in the day I couldn't say no :(.

If the accordionist was a pro/semi-pro he/she would've had an inbuilt accordion mic. That's by far the best solution.

A pair of clip on Sennheiser or AKG brass mics was a decent substitution.

Other than for an occasional embarassing sound check, a mic on a stand wasn't used. It just doesn't work satisfactorily if there's any other loud noise on the stage, or if the accordionist doesn't /sit perfectly still.

Regards
    Sam

6. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    My friend plays one with an internally mounted mic. Sounds good and is easy to set up.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1 for not micing the button side. most zydeco players i know only mic the keyboard side anyway.

8. Mrs. Wateroftyne used to use a Microvox internal mic'ing system, but it couldn't cope in high volume situations.

Now she uses a Sennheiser E608 on the treble side, and doesn't bother with the bass side. It copes well in even in very high volume situations.

Because the accordion is quite small, one is fine. If she used a larger accordion she'd really need one at each end of the keyboard.

It sounds like this:

..and looks like this:

[​IMG]

9. The above is great info.
    My accordian is older, but has a 1/4" jack in place. I assume there are simply some acoustic pickups in there or something. Otherwise, I would mic it like the photo above.

10. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    Thanks for the replies---I've done searches from time to time for some sort of system to install inside the accordion, but if anyone makes one, they seem to be hiding on the web. Actually we have an ATM35 now, that we're using on a clarinet. I'll see if it can be clipped somewhere to work for the accordion too.

Anybody else with ideas, please chime in!

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Did you guys hear about the accordian player who left his accordian in the back seat of his car as he ate dinner in a restaurant? When he returned to his car, he found one of the car windows broken 2 more accordians and a banjo in his back seat!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020