1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

amps designed for sub bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Loxodrome, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Hey, i was just windering if anyone knew of amps designed for octaved bass ann stuff like that?

2. There are some amps that have subharmonic synthesizers built into them but these are just pure amplifiers - they do not have an instrument pre-amp. Is this what you are asking about ?

3. I think you'll be looking more at the speaker end of thing for sub bass, most amps will go lower than you want

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    SWR Megoliath is a good sub cab. It's probably the ultimate in Whale technology/cab design.

5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If it is marketed for bass guitar, its going to be pretty far from the ultimate design or current technology.

6. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Not sure if they're made anymore, but Bag End's ELF (Extended Low Frequency) systems would definitely get you there.

7. What is your budget?

8. The Bag End subs are still made. They are accurate to 8hz as long as you use their crossover.

If you get the powered model make sure you order the amp with the cross over installed (they'll probably do this anyway).

And if you're really want to move some air, get the 24" speaker. At NAMM they'll loan these to a couple of builders that specialize in making "SubBass" guitars because it's pretty much the only thing that can reproduce the low strings.

9. [​IMG]

Here's the Knuckle/CircleK fEARful 15/6 in action in the studio, being used by Matt Youngblood of Seattle's The Saints Of Damnation, who's playing one of those awesome longneck Quakes.

10. I got pretty good results with a GK Neo 410 cab and a 1001rb ii

11. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    The above rig (1001 + 410 neo) is mediocre at best. Have been provided this as backline occasionsally. No real lows, cardboardy mids and not much SPL. Far from fEarful etc.

12. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I would love to try that Knuckle!

13. IDK Boss OC-2 (1oct down by itself)+ that rig is fantastic for sub bass (goes to 30Hz). You don't know what you are talking about. I've owned that amp/cab for years, you used it as a backline. What amp do you normally play? The whole rig can be had used for $800 or lower depending on the deal.

14. subbasshz

subbasshz

Aug 11, 2012
    phoenix az
    Im addicted to punishing volume.
  15. Doesn't matter what the amp can deliver if the speaker can't produce it. Actually the amp is the easy part.

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    ANY good poweramp or bass amp, but you want something special in the spkr cab dept.