Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amps - enough power (SWR, Hartke)?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mikkejohansson, Sep 27, 2004.

1. I'm changing the topic a bit, so the first few replies may semm strange. No use in making a new topic since it's kind of the same issue...

I've kind of narrowed my "cheap-ish" small combo purchase down to three contestants.

The SWR workingmans 12, the GK 150 and the Hartke Kickback 12.

Any comments? Opinions? Pros/Cons?

2. I gig with an SWR Workingman's 2004 head, a 200 watter, that I run into a Steel Sound 2x10 cab. I run a line out to the PA for FOH volume, and use the amp rig mostly for onstage volume. It works very well for my Engelhardt C-1 with K&K Bassmax & preamp, and equally well for my P-bass.

It's a little more flexible than a small combo, a little more power, very toneful and tweakable, and I only spent about $425 on the whole rig.

Cheers, Tim

3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I love the Hartke kickback for BG. Powerful little combo amp. Not so great for DB in IMO.

I have a German Ply w/ realist and at I have to turn the bass, mid, treble all the way down. In louder situations, with the master volume at 12 o'clock or higher the little combo amp just can't handle my lows...starts to distort badly and this is with the bass turned all the way down.

This doesn't happen though with the slab. I like the GK for both w/out spending tons on an amp.

Matt

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm a DB guy. I used the wm10 for a few years then upgraded to the wm12. I have yet to find a situation where the wm12 can't compete. Also a great amp if you need to double on porkchop. I do have a bigger amp for outdoor gigs but the wm12 has been great for any club stuff I have to do.

5. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    suggest Mesa Walkabout amp or combo. I use a Walkabout
    head with a EA VL 208 or EA VL 110 with my 5 string & DB.
    The head is rated at 300 RMS at 4 ohms (2 cabinets)or 150 RMS at 8 ohms ( 1 cabinet).
    The combos come with either a 12" or 15". and I think they
    are rated at 150 RMS. and 300 RMS with the an extension cab.
    I like separates as I find the combos are little heavy & bulky for my little Toyota.(And DB too). (50 lbs +)
    Also tried the Ashdown combo with a EUB (Eminence?). The
    amp is really eq' for electric rather than DB. I found it to
    exaggerate both the low end and top end too much for my
    taste in amping a DB.
    Nice for 5 string Electric, but also too bulky for me.(50lbs +)

6. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    I use an Ashdown ABM 500 head w/ a custom 1/12 cab often for DB. I don't know about the combo, but the head I use has an EQ out push button as well as a flat button, so you can override the "built-in" Ashdown tonal characteristics, which are, as noted above, tailored more for plank.

7. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    Hello;

I have a Peavey KBA2. It is an amp designed for Keyboard and acoustic instruments. It is biamped, with a 10 in speaker an a tweeter. It was fairly inexpensive, <$400 and sounds pretty good. That is, doesn't really color the sound much and has a fairly flat eq. I use a KnK bass max pickup, with a Fishman Bass ProEq II. And, it is pretty light. For what I paid it works well for me.

I also have a Hartke Kick back 12. It works ok for slab, but I don't like it for the URB. Especially when compared to the Peavey.

Walt MI/US :hyper:

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Also, the Hartke can't be used with another cab and still use the internal speaker, big minus.

Matt

9. Ok, so rule out the Hartke. New contenders;

Ashdown Electric Blue

SWR WM12

SWR Strawberry Blonde

GK 150

Which one?

10. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I like the GK for many reasons.

Everytime I play through it, URB and slab I am happy with it. Nice fat sound that I desire from either instrument.

Transporting it is a breeze, as I am a carless soul, but easy to transport nonetheless.

As you know you can add the extra cab when needed.

Just my $.02

Matt

11. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    Hello;

I tried out the SWR Strawberry Blonde amp at a music store. And, I heard a guy playing through one. I liked the sound of it quite a bit. If you live near a big music store they might have one that you could try with your rig.

Walt MI/US