Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

an alternative to dampits?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by prelims222, Oct 17, 2004.

1. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    I've been pondering ways to avoid using dampits (or any other internal humidifying gadgets) this winter, and I think I've come up with something.

Like some others, I often have to store my instrument in a trunk/locker type setup, in a dry area where I can't use a humidifier (as in school). The trunk is one of the older kinds (the tall trapezoidal types with the little shelves on each side of the neck, and even small spaces beneath the instrument.

What I'm considering trying is getting two tupperware containers and putting sponge (or another material) in them, and then covering the sponges with water. then placing them in those little side 'cabinets.' Assuming that there is some type of transpiration from the sponges, this might bring up the humidity inside the trunk. If I could get the trunk up to 40%, that would be pretty good.

Since the instrument has to stay there overnight, the instrument might be able to gradually regain some of the humidity it loses during the day being out and in dry buildings.

Luthiers, more engineering-minded types, what do you think? Could this potentially work?

2. It's hard to address this issue when you don't give us a clue where you live. I checked you profile...nothing.
    You want to match the humidity to the area in which your bass lives. You don't want your bass wetter than it has to be. Once it acclimates to your area, you should not have any worries. Taking it to a very dry climate after is your worry.

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I like your idea. Punch a number of holes in the lid to control evaporation. Install a hygrometer to measure the humidity level. Adjust lid holes as needed...

4. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Paul,

Bloomington, Indiana. It's kept in a locker in a Music Building that does not really do a thing about the humidity. Thats a whole other subject.

I'll try this out today and get back to you guys about how it works out.