1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

An idea. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Radical Edward, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Alright, so as of late, I've heard pretty much constantly, "the Atheists did this", and "the Christians did that." And so I wonder why we can not all get along, regardless of religion. I want to hold a rally downtown here, and invite anyone to do the same where they live, full of different people of all sorts of religions, in an effort to break down the barriers that we've put in place and that separate us, because of our beliefs. I think we are all brothers and sisters, and we're all stuck here just trying to make it through life the best we can, and we should look out for one another and stop looking for the differences in each other, and start looking for the things we have in common. What do you guys think? I do believe that a lot of people in various religions are not as "hateful" or mean as they come across, but are afraid of what people amongst their own religion will think of them. They do not want to have that hate directed at them. So, I believe that in a group, as one entity of people, we can show that just because we are different and have different beliefs, does not mean we have to persecute and judge each other for them.

2. Sounds like a good idea to me. Go for it!

As I was reading your post this came to mind! ;)

3. Lol. Well, I just don't get why people can't seem to understand that we all hail from different upbringing and completely different lives, and that we have to respect who each other are, regardless of beliefs on a question that no one has the answers to.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You posted some great beliefs there, Mika. Ive always felt similarly, that people should recognize we have different upbringings, but that ultimately we have more in common than we have not. Im not an atheist, but I also do not consider myself a part of any one religion but the Mother/Goddess Religion which all others have sprang from.

5. rainbow-unicorn1.

6. I am all for making our public discourse more civil and I too believe that both religious and non-religious people are mostly the same when it comes to being good and wanting to do good.

Call me a pessimist, however. I've found for every altruistic person who endeavors to give peace a chance, there are 100 who have figured out that it's just easier to stir up hatred against the so-called 'other side' by simply putting everyone who doesn't think like they do in an easy to say, easy to hate nutshell.

Most people, in face-to-face situations find that they are not all that different, morally speaking - and if they do feel different, they've learned that saying so face-to-face is not very productive (or PC) and have learned to say the right thing in public and save their real feeling for when they get behind closed doors with like-minded folks.

DO NOT LET MY LACK OF ENTHUSIASM dampen your desire to try!!! I have to admit that I've grown pretty cynical and jaded as I watch "what works" when it comes to rhetoric. Facts and honest portrayals of people with different view doesn't hit this list.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The world is full of people who think their religion is the ONLY one and who slavishly follow its dictates. That has led to more bloodshed and suffering than any other single factor.

Don't ever expect people committed to a religion to be rational. I like to be surrounded with people who are doubters, who have lots of questions about their religion and who aren't about to swallow it as "Truth". IMO that's a much healthier situation.

8. 1. Invite everyone to your local city gathering area
    2. Buy everyone a coke
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

9. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Careful, Mika. Every person who espoused your opinions publicly was assassinated.

Just sayin'...

10. The US constitution was built upon the idea of separation of church and state just to avoid internal struggles between various religions and versions. Well, let's see what that lead us to in today's world...

11. Card-carrying God-botherer here, and I think it's a great idea.

FWIW I don't see the issue as just religion, but more people who don't accept others' rights to hold different beliefs. So for example McCarthy-ism was just as bad as religious or anti-religious dogma in my view.

12. Really?

I think not, but if so there is strength in numbers.

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hard to see how this won't get closed as a thread about religion, after a fashion at least.

For what it's worth, though, sorry Mika, but this is the kind of distorted notion that people get when all they think about religion and non-religion is what they hear in the media. Go into any American workplace. You'll find a protestant working over here, a Jew and a Catholic poring over a project over there, a Muslim or an atheist doing his job in the next room. Are they all throwing grenades at each other? Firebombing each other's houses? Scheming to get each other fired, even? No. Once in a while they might get into a brisk debate about the merits of their different beliefs. Then they'll move on and argue about which team they're rooting for in the super bowl.

Hate, intolerance, and violence gets in the news because it's newsworthy. 99% of the time, actually, people DO get along. It's just not news... because it's normal.

14. Peeps tend to think that those who do not think the way they do are crazy or dumb. If they think that in the begining, open conversations are skewed from the begining. No one will change anyone's mind and if you avioid the subject it will just be a pink epephant in the room.

15. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Contrary to what our corporate media tells us we are not all rabid hateful beings out to insult and hurt each other, actually most of us are quite sane and rational even in the face of our opposition.
    You want to do your part to help us all get along better?
    I would suggest turning off the tv as a good place to start.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Let us collectively turn our hate towards the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

17. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I can dig that.:cool:

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Fixed.

19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Good thread. Let's invite pick and fingerstyle players, as well.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Metal and non-Metal players, too!

Can't we all just get along?