Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An interesting flea-flea bass story

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IvanMike, Aug 29, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    before i have to duck :bag:
    this is not an anti flea thread - i happen to like his playing
    once upon a time i want to sam ash and tried out the newly released tobias "growler bass" almost bought one although i'm glad i didnt because not only were the mids non-cutting like BP noticed, but they seemed to have awful neck problems
    too bad, i still love that electronic circuit, and i might have to buy the setup from bartolini one day and put it in a bass.
    but anyhow, i call gibson to ask some questions about the growler, and end up talking to a really nice guy. in the conversation he mentions that flea tried one and really loved it. just one catch. if he played it he wanted them to call it the flea bass, give hime 2k a month and free basses. gibson said no go pal.
    couple of years later at the most there i am trying out modulus' re-named "Sonic hammer" now dubbed the flea bass :p

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    See, that is a bit pompus if you ask me. I would expect some perksfor being such a big name and having a sig bass, but come on. Why is it rich, powerful, successful people feel everything should be handed to them?

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If this becomes a slug fest or political in topic in any way I am going to close it.

Much Love
    Mama Cass :eyebrow:

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm not saying that this is an absolute standard, but a lot of the big names out there act like this. Just kind of bothers me...

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    right on - no slug fest
    i just thought it was amusing - so behave :)
    besides, i'm still waiting for the valenti "ivan bass" deal :p

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hmmmmm.... Benavente "James Bass" :smug: it's got a nice ring

7. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm not a big name and I don't know what I'd do in that situation if I was...but being a marketing guy, I have a certain point of view...

Maybe (pure speculation), Flea knows (just like all big names know) that their name is worth something. Why else would someone want a music *career* if not for making the most they can make out of their hard work? So, anything that can be done with their name as a musician will surely be used to it's utmost potential. They use it to sell albums, merchandise, etc...and liscensing their name for gear is no exception. You don't even want to know how much money sports teams and sports stars get paid for their name on a bunch of crappy merchandise. Trust me, $2,000 a month and basses is a drop in the bucket compared to multi-million dollar sneaker deals and the like.

Flea (or Flea's people) are business people just like Gibson or any other company. Flea knows his name is worth something, companies know Flea's name can sell basses. If Gibson didn't think it was worth the ROI (return on investment) then that's why they didn't do it. Making money comes first. They would have done it if the numbers work out right. No company still exists that acts on good feelings and giving stuff away and because it would be "nice". If Flea or any other big name didn't do this every step of the way, they are either charity cases who already have ungodly amounts of money, or are stupid. All of their careers could end at any time, let alone their time of being "cool" in the eyes of the consumer. So they take advantage of it while they can.

I guess this could be taken as pompous. But it can also as equally be seen as just another career move for a working musician.

-T

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It could be a very good business venture, but Gibson is one of those companies that I think runs realy rough. I remember from my music store days that they were damn near impossible to work with.

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i agree with ya to a large extent
    the idea of making 10 cents on the dollar for your cd's is insane - that was one of the reasons i was more supportive of the free mp3 idea on the net - it's not a good idea for an older band/songwriter who gets the royalties, but for an emerging band, the more people they get to their shows or buy their non album merchandise, the more they make
    i'm still of the opinion that the record companies need to change the way they do buisiness, especially since the internet music trading won't dissapear
    i'm into 10 dollar cd's and throwing the artist more money - but that's just me

10. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    I agree why should flea indorse a product for free when the company is gonna made loads off his name without getting in return.

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    absolutely..............
    i get more of a kick about his (presumed) insistance that the product name be changed to "flea bass"
    thank god fernades didn't jump on that deal :p

12. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Same here. Without getting too off topic, I agree that the record industry needs to adapt to the changing times instead of fighting off the consumer and making me far less likely to buy an album. Of course you shouldn't be able to get an entire album for free. But instead of suing me for my MP3 collection :spit: , I'd rather be lured into a band with free mp3's and then getting me to buying an album, seeing a show, buying their t-shirts, etc because I am now a fan...all because of a couple MP3s. A little can go a LONG way. Too bad the record industry want TOO MUCH for TOO LITTLE. :scowl:

But all of this aside, I do have to admit: I really want that Modulus! :D

-T

13. So lemme just get this straight, Flea wanted to play Tobias, and Gibson didn't want to give him free tobiases?

watch it, that kind of post WILL get you removed from the site.

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i grew up on Gaylord Mountain Road..........

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    As evidenced by their recent internet and advertising policy.
    :scowl:

brad cook

16. Flea wanted Ernie Ball to rename the Stingray the "Flea Bass" but they said they would keep it the Stingray but nickname it the "Flea Bass"...flea said no and left.

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you can get the bread and get your name on a bass, more power to you. The power of the free market.

18. Hmm... Ombudsbass.

19. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    The Only Bass....I like it! :D

20. The Hole Bass....if no one knew how the name was spelled, that'd be pretty funny. Someone could say "Hey! I got a whole bass" heh...god i feel dumb...