1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

And, but also, another first build thread

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rythman6969, Mar 14, 2010.

1. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::D:D:D:D:)yes, another one. :D Hi, I've posted here but this is my first build. Inspired by several custom basses I've had made, and by all the pics on TB and all the luthiers and builders here I finally went and started my first....and second lol....builds. I have thought about the details for years. Going over it until I hit something I thought I wouldn't know how or be able to do. Then I would come here and find the answer and/or go over it in my head or on paper until I felt I now had that taken care of also. And just moved on, in my head, like that.

Then I got a Wishbass. Now, I always liked neck-thru. And when I saw how simply the wish was put together( I mean that in a good way ) I said, " I can do this ". The Wish came unfinished. That can be taken 2 ways. You choose. But I will say I had to shape the neck and level the fingerboard. So I got some practice there. And it came out great and is a great playing and sounding fretless.
    And so, I went online and found some wood and started my own. I had no clamps, jig saw, router, planes, or just about anything else, but I got those things and followed my plans and have gotten to this point so far.
    I have made quite a few mistakes, but nothing I could not recover from.( and most importantly learn from ) and I think it is going to be solid and should be a good player.
    the neck is one piece yellowheart
    body wings are canarywood
    fb is bloodwood
    bridge and nut will be pink ivory
    34"
    4 string fretless
    oil/wax finish
    red sperzel machine heads/tuners
    woodforbass004.jpg
    got the wood and cut to dimensions needed
    bassbuilds006-1.jpg
    no jointer so all joint planed by hand, lot's of work for the novice like me, glued up blocks of wood then cut out basic shape ( first mistake, maybe first )
    cortb4004.jpg
    routed slots for carbon fiber rods and truss ros and epoxied/siliconed them in
    glued on fb after getting neck taper and fb taper pretty close
    builds009.jpg
    started rounding over body with 1/2" round over router bit and files and sandpaper. then slimmed down the back of the neck simply by cutting it down with jig saw, then started shaping it, slowly
    wishandMyBass001.jpg
    wanted open headstock( ala wish, and others ) and wanted it a little different
    wishandMyBass009.jpg

wishandMyBass003.jpg

wishandMyBass011.jpg

I made yellowheart pup cover and cavity cover and had David @ SGD put a dualcoil in the shell I made and I just got it back . I will post pics of it soon.

Thats it so far and will stay updated on it now. hopefully won't be too long to finish.

Comments welcome, but please don't be too harsh, I'm a vigin:D

2. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    looks like it gonna turn out to be a real nice bass, im subscribing.

3. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on this build!

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Are you sure that is not Bubinga?

5. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    pretty sure. I got it from Bell Forest and it looks like the rest of the bloodwood they have, though it was not the reddest piece. my camera also takes washed out pics. but I think it is bloodwood compared to pics of bubinga i see. and looks totally dif from the figured bubinga fb I had on another bass.
    BTW MW, You Da Man ! you are one of the luthiers/builders I regularly look to for answers. so, thanks.

--matt

6. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Is that a Ghostbusters headstock?

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Next time you should probably put something between your clamps and that beautiful fretboard, and the back of the neck, for that matter. Don't want to damage it permanently.

Anyway, I like the stinger on that thing :D

8. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    COOL!

That shape is sick! That headstock is sick! This bass will be SICK!

9. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    I would have but the neck was completely unshaped on the back side and the fb needed about 1/4" sanded off still so no worries there.

as for the stringer. that's what the cf rods and truss rod are for. i wanted the one piece neck. for looks and as an experiment for my own first hand knowledge and experience.

10. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    thanks. I hope it will be.

11. Dream Weaver

Dream Weaver

Jul 11, 2009
    OH
    I've always been partial to atypical shapes. Looking good so far.

12. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    no. its the "scream" headstock
    but thank you for the constructive criticism;)

13. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    some more pics of progress and new Sperzel locking tuners in RED
    pics show dual coil SGD pup back from David @ SGD, epoxied in shell I made.
    also show position markers @ 12, 24,27, 29 , 31, 33, and 36 on the fingerboard. all others ( 1,3,5,7,9,12,ect. up to 24)are on the side

also shielded cavity and drilled for wires to pup and ground wires to string thru ferrules
    nextbuildpics002.jpg
    nextbuildpics003.jpg
    nextbuildpics004.jpg
    nextbuildpics008.jpg
    nextbuildpics009.jpg
    nextbuildpics013.jpg
    nextbuildpics014.jpg

nextbuildpics019.jpg

14. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Very nice. Are you doing a natural finish?

15. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    thanks man. yes, an easy Truoil finish. 0000 steel wool on the neck, prob whole bass.
    BTW your basses look great. the 6 nt is lookin hot.

16. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    LOVE the red Sperzels!

17. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    thanks, yeah thery're neato. they come in almost every color in the rainbow.

18. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    btw, the Sperzels do not come in every color under the rainbow. for bass, anyway, they come in crome, brushed, goild, black, red, and lime green.

19. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    well, this is it. my first. many little mistakes, but none too bad as to trash it. I know everyone probably want to say it or believe it, but this bass sounds and plays as good or better than any I've had. I used good wood. very few joints. but all were very tight. and the SGD pickup probably has ALOT to do with it. The fingerboard is glass-like and flat with a little fall away from the 24th to the 36th so the action is nice and low but doesn't bottom out at the high registers.

the pics are pretty acurate but the bottom of the bass(the yellowheart pup cover and tail ) looks a little yellow. i'll try to get some more pics up soon with the back too.

also working on sound clips. fwiw, its kinda bridge pickup sounding, but beefier and bassier than you might expect. the SGD ? perhaps. but what ever it is, me likey.

finished 'er with one coat of truoil wiped on with a cotton cloth and rubbed in good. then a coat of feed-n-wax as per directions. let sit for 20 and wipe off. that's all she's gettin'.

i put TI jazz rounds on. love 'em.

finished1stbass001.jpg
    finished1stbass002.jpg
    finished1stbass003.jpg
    finished1stbass004.jpg
    finished1stbass005.jpg
    finished1stbass006.jpg
    finished1stbass008.jpg
    finished1stbass007.jpg

20. Dream Weaver

Dream Weaver

Jul 11, 2009
    OH
    Wow! I must say that it all comes together really well. The grain on that upper wing is sooooo sweet.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020