1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

And here I am...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by evergroove, Apr 15, 2009.

1. evergroove

evergroove

Apr 15, 2009
    Evergreen, CO
    When I started playing guitar I started on a bass. Within the first year my parents bought me a Squire strat to learn on and the bass took a back seat. Fast forward to now... and I find myself going back to the bass guitar because a client needs me to stand in as a bassist (with the option to stay on) and, honestly, it'd be cool to work with the guys over the long haul. Anyway...

The style is hard rock/metal but the, one, guitarist plays a reasonable rig (a Metaltronix set to 50w). So a bass that can handle the hard rock/metal genre is in order as well as a suitable amp.

Here's the trick, being a recording studio owner I'd love the bass to be versatile to offer up to clients that don't have that great of a bass (it happens a lot).

Some suggestions offered to me so far are a basic p-bass, a G&L Tribue L-2000, a Musicman SUB or Stingray, or a P-Bass Special Deluxe (with the j-pup in the bridge and p-pups).

So... all of those are pretty different from each other. Would you guys say that one is more versatile than another? The L-2000 Tribute certainly seems to have MANY tonal options with all the toggle switches and the option of active/passive, etc.

Thanks guys... this looks like a great forum and most likely a new home for me.

-Brad

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Sometimes more tonal options doesnt necessarily mean better - unless that's what you're looking for. I know a lot of players that never advance in skill because they're always messing with the tone knobs trying to get that "perfect" tone LOL

Get the P bass and be done with it!

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Safe to plan on a 10:1 wattage from whatever your guitar player is using. More is obviously better, but if he's going to 'use' what he has you have to be prepared to be able to compete. So if he's bringing 50w, I'd plan on 500w.

But, it also depends on stage volume, house PA support, etc etc etc.

4. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yep, an old P-Bass. I like recording with single pickup basses.

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    If you're getting just one bass for use in a recording studio, that would indeed be a passive P-bass. Want more versatility? Get the P-bass special (not the deluxe) with the J pickup and passive electronics. Lots of engineers don't care for active electronics.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I did a lot of recording several years ago. Of all my basses, the studio guys liked my Carvin by far the best. It can do active/passive and you have tons of tone controls. They seemed to like the passive with the neck pickup soloed or both pickups full-on. At the time I had a Cirrus, a BTB, and a Fender P. They had a J bass and a P which also had a bucker at the bridge. Again, they like the Carvin the best and this studio has done several recordings for national acts.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 for a passive P, and +1 to 500 watts of bass amp, and appropriate speakers to play it through.

8. evergroove

evergroove

Apr 15, 2009
    Evergreen, CO
    So glad I came here... you guys rock!

I've been looking at that P-Bass Special Deluxe but yes... even I hate recording active electronics. It's always sounded pretty weird when tracked. Maybe it had more to do with the players that have come through?

So... p-bass special not deluxe. Fair enough. Now... are the off shore manufactured ones doing alright for reliability, etc? Anything I need to be aware of?

I would start talking amps but this isn't the forum. Oh, if someone is selling a p-Bass feel free to solicit me. Imma go look in the for/sale section

THANK YOU!

9. evergroove

evergroove

Apr 15, 2009
    Evergreen, CO
    This probably had way more to do with the genre and songs themselves where the Carvin's tone was the ticket. I've often been surprised at what really works when we are tracking versus what I think (aka hope) will work.

Do you still have the Carvin? If so... what's the model?

10. Before you jump at a P-Bass Special, I think you should look at one more Fender option. The Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass (made in Mexico) has a P-Bass pickup at the neck and a J-Bass pickup at the bridge, and a mini-toggle switch that lets you go passive or active to the pickups. It's reasonably priced, and feels and sounds great. I had one on layaway but had to settle for a less expensive bass due to funds. From the time I messed around with it, it's a great bass. Lots of options in a nice MIM Fender package! (and no, I don't sell musical instruments for a living...). Just trying to help out. :D

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

I agree this is an excellent option if versatility is key.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    LB76 It has the standard stacked J pickups. It's not my main player for live stuff. And I see your point.

13. evergroove

evergroove

Apr 15, 2009
    Evergreen, CO
    NOW we're talkin!

::scurries off to search Google::

14. evergroove

evergroove

Apr 15, 2009
    Evergreen, CO
    Hmmm.... used Reggie's seem to be in short supply. Probably a good reason for it.

How are the pups in the deluxe p-bass special? If they're good, then would it be hard to add a switch like the Reggie model to bypass the active electronics?

And then there is the G&L P-Bass special style... the SB-2 (I think)? Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

15. G&L stuff is generally great. A P/J bass is very versatile, but can't sound exactly like a J(which is sometimes needed) and usually can't sound exactly like a P, either(depending on switching--it is sometimes possible). My opinion: get a J and a P, basses covered.