1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Andy Hess

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bluesbass99, May 12, 2010.

1. bluesbass99

bluesbass99

Jun 14, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I know this is an unanswerable question, but does anyone know why Andy Hess left Gov't Mule? He is, unquestionaly, the most efficient bass player I have ever seen. He does so much out of the box with minimal hand movement.

I really loved the work he did with the Mule. I hope to see him again soon. Can't get enough of him and Willie Weeks. Real masters.

Arild likes this.
  2. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'm a HUGE Andy Hess fan. I especially dig his work with Scofield and Will Bernard. The man can do no wrong.

Arild likes this.
  3. Andy Hess was too much of a disconnect from Woody. I'm not sure why Mule didn't see that before they brought him on. His playing is different, his tone is different and his on-stage demeanor is different.

When they hired Jorgen Carlsson, Warren commented on how they needed to go a different direction with their bass player and Jorgen was more in-line with that. The Sweden native is a lot like Woody in his choice of tone and playing.

I, personally, much prefer Andy. His tone and playing are top notch and really complemented the music. But mine is the opinion of just one man...

4. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    I love Andy Hess. He is by far one of the most underrated bass players out there today. His playing is tastful and very understated but he can also lay down a monster groove! Just check out this Andy Hess gem - soloing his ass off and still holding down the groove!!!!

henryjurstin13 and Arild like this.
  5. I LOVE that solo and have watched it many times. A huuuuge groove throughout. Willie Weeks would be quite proud to hear that. A total tip to the hat to Willie, IMO.

I saw Mule in-person with Andy and Jorgen and IMO, Jorgen's groove didn't come anywhere close to Andy's.

6. Rebecca

Rebecca

Sep 7, 2009
    He's touring this summer with the Rhythm Devils. Also along is one of my favorite guitarists, Davy Knowles. Can't wait to hear it.

7. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    I'm a big Andy Hess fan. I thought he was a great choice to follow Woody because he was so different. I look forward to hear him do in other projects. Jorgen is fine but I'd love to hear Oteil with Mule these days. He sounds great in the ABB and the new Derek Trucks Susan Tedeschi project.