1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anger management?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by crguti, Sep 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    How do you manage your anger when you get the mix of your band album and the bass is almost non existence?
    I wanna break something... :mad:

ThePresident777 likes this.
  2. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I hate that.

First time I pissed and moaned on every new mix listen, so they brought it up.

This time around, I didn't even respond to the 'let me know what you think,' so i assume they (correctly) assumed what i thought, & brought it up

3. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    Ask for your part of the money back. No bass = no pay ;)
    regards
    Mark

4. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Fire the engineer and go elsewhere. Proceed to bash studio bass into tree.
    Make a scene.
    Oh wait, anger management? sorry, I got nothin'.

5. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Heavy doses of drugs, or a large pepperoni pizza. But I don't have this problem yet, as we do our own recording and editing, with plenty of bass guitar presence.

twinjet likes this.
  6. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I bought a RIC to combat that.

7. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Post here and bitch about it.

Looks like we have the same regimen.

8. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Doesn't help man, they just turn you down more and EQ out your mids.

spaz21387 likes this.
  9. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Fire the drummer of course! Obviously he's playing too loud.

Cosmo Dalton and ThePresident777 like this.
  10. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I would be beyond furious. Seriously. I work to damn hard on my lines for some tech to EQ them out. My blood pressure is going up just thinking about it

TinIndian and jfh2112 like this.
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    It depends:

First mix - I wouldn't get mad, I'd just tell them to turn the bass up or EQ it properly.
    Subsequent mixes - I'd let them know that I wasn't participating in any more recording or supplying any more funds until the issue is fixed
    Final mix - If I had mentioned it previously, I would tell them that I'm not paying or agreeing to anything until the bass is audible.
    CD pressed - If I had told them multiple times and they ignored me I'd leave the band because it would be obvious that they didn't respect me.

Without knowing where you are in the process, it's hard to know if you should be mad at all. If this is the first time you've mentioned it, it's not their fault. If you've been bringing it up all along, you need to move on.

Woolber, Frank77, bolophonic and 11 others like this.
  12. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    ^ you're right. we just got the first mix. I let know that I wasn't happy with the mix and I convinced my bandmates about that. We'll pass our opinions to the Engineer to solve the issue and hopefully he'll understand what we want.

A good rehearsal making new songs is all I needed to calm me down.

13. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    The bass is very powerful ... a little too much can overwhelm a recording. That's why i think people doing the mixing tend to err on the side of less.

That aside, I throw out the "Why should I bother playing all those notes if nobody can hear them? Especially me, cuz I KNOW they're there!"

Mechanical, dtsamples and twinjet like this.
  14. The worst is when you get mixed out and the band says they like the mix.

15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Give them Jason Newsted's number and walk out. Don't pay a dime.

16. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    SHOULD HAVE BEEN LARS.

dtsamples and Moosehead1966 like this.
  17. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Tell them you need them to do it again and specifically ask for what you want.

18. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Who's mixing it?

If you're paying an engineer, it's pretty easy to tell them to turn the fader up; even with the most seasoned engineer there is likely to be at least a round or two of revisions before they're paid in full.

For one of the last records I did, the engineer was working remotely and we got as far as five or six rounds of revisions on some of the tunes.

Hopefully they already has a reference track or two, but if they don't the band should send them; it does away with a lot of ambiguity, since they can literally compare directly as they're mixing.

If one of the band members is mixing it and can't figure out how to properly slot the bass in the mix, it's probably time to consider hiring a qualified engineer.

LowNloud1 likes this.
  19. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    I obviously should have scrolled down a bit further ;)

If the first pass was that far off the mark, don't just try to explain what you want again: send the engineer a few reference mixes to work from so there is no confusion.

If the second pass is still not even in the right ballpark, you'll know you need to hire someone else who can actually deliver the results you're looking for.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Charlzm likes this.
  20. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    I am finding this happening more and more. Seems the engineer is mixing with his eyes instead of his ears.

Charlzm likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021