1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Featured Announcing The Ray Ross™ Saddle-Less Bass Bridge

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jan 24, 2019.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    WALL TOWNSHIP, NJ – AP International is pleased to announce the release of the new Ray Ross™ Bass Bridge, a retrofitting bridge that represents a revolutionary approach to the standard stringed instrument bridge design. Rather than utilizing a traditional saddle to provide a string break, the Ray Ross™ features a tone pin that keeps the string completely straight from the bridge to the nut; this concept removes the “kink” from the string, providing increased vibrational energy through the strings and into the body of the instrument. This feature allows maximum transference to the instrument so you can get the most of the bass itself, not solely the color of the bridge. Comprised of solid brass, the residual tone you do get from the bridge is articulate, resonant, and full-bodied.

On a standard bridge, downward force applied to the instrument from the string is restricted due to the saddles providing relief between the string and body. The Ray Ross™ negates this concept and applies nearly 100% of the string tension downward allowing the string to resonate freely, giving the cleanest possible path from your fingertips to your ears.

Height adjustments are done via a lateral action adjustment wheel that raises and lowers the tone pin and retains full connection from the string to the bridge plate. An intonation lateral adjustment wheel allows for painless macro and micro adjustments while also preventing the saddle from moving over time.

The Ray Ross™ Bass Bridge gives ultimate mounting flexibility with seven screw holes to choose from including the spacing of Fender’s 5-hole design, making it a perfect retrofit for the multitude of Jazz and P-Bass style instruments on the market. A 2 ¼ inch (57 millimeter) string spacing matches many standard bridges.

Ray Ross Installed.
    Ray Ross.

www.apintl.com

Albert Vickers, ICM, GKon and 23 others like this.
  2. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    I'd like to try this bridge. Brilliant design.

3. bigmikebass

bigmikebass Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Fairview Park , Ohio
    I wonder if the wraps being part of the vibrating length has any adverse effects?
    Looks cool for sure.

4. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Well isn't that a horse of a different color?!?! Very cool!

rollie 55 and SBassman like this.
  5. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Looks like an attenpt to reinvent the wheel.

Phasman, MDBass, Hunch and 4 others like this.
  6. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I rather think it's innoventive

7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Interesting. It seems like the intonation screws could require a lot more force to adjust, which makes me wonder what toll that would take on the overall reliability over time. I guess one could just loosen the strings, but that would seem like a step back, IMO. I suppose the “beads” the strings pass through are effectively the saddles?

Happy Camper, Hunch, Gabbs and 5 others like this.
  8. Ducerro

Ducerro

Dec 6, 2018
    Yoakum, TX
    Couldn't find a price - even on the Ray Ross website, but there are some beautiful basses on there!

blueskylizard likes this.
  9. bigmikebass

bigmikebass Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Fairview Park , Ohio
    What about the wraps effect on intonation?
    I like how simple it is.

Hunch, DaveAceofBass and son_of_mogh like this.
  10. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    It has to have some effect. And some strings have nicer wraps than other.

- John

Hunch and MattZilla like this.
  11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    From my point of view, it's a shame that the studs are "thread-through" instead of "drop-in Quick-release".

dutchwife, MDBass, J_Bass and 15 others like this.
  12. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    String height adjustment? Where? How?

Happy Camper, wmhill and Hand slap like this.
  13. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    At the base of each "saddle" there's a nut similar to the intonation adjusters. So the saddles are threaded and scootch up and down as you rotate the nut. I like that.

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Interesting!
    Interested.

That said; how is this improving on existing designs.

'Different' is not enough for me to buy.
    What materials does it come in and how do they accommodate preferences in terms of string spacing?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Picton likes this.
  15. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks. I am really quite intrigued by this design. I’d really like to check one out at some point.

bass4u likes this.
  16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Will it fit a Spector?

17. i think this is a really interesting design..

it may be all hype and not useful in reality...

it may actually be a really nice design.

i'd love to try one.

Hunch likes this.
  18. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Very cool. Does anyone have any real experience with this?

Joebone likes this.
  19. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Cold, Daring. No flies on me. Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    Neat, but I can't see this being a viable drop-in upgrade without custom string winding lengths designed for it. For say 34" scale basses, the same strings used with a conventional bridge will be too long and may cause the fat portion of the string wrap onto the tuning posts, especially on the posts closest to the nut. I doubt using medium scale strings would work reliably either. I'm pretty sure he takes this into account on his custom instruments though.

Hunch, wmhill, SBassman and 6 others like this.
  20. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    You are totally right!

Hunch likes this.