Another $30 down the drain

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by groveofbass, Feb 19, 2005.

1. I bought a set of Labella Super Steps today. same weird out of tune overtones that i got with the Dr Long Necks. I give up on tapered strings. this is stupid. Ive wasted $70 now and gotten 0 use out of it.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    send them to me!
  3. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    This is something I referred to HERE.

I strongly prefer conventionally wound strings.

4. Only $70?! You've got some serious catching up to do!

Bring on the wolves! ;)
  5. blindman

Aug 14, 2002
    If you have not checked out Ken Smith Rock Masters I would try them. I use them and they are great. I have them on my G&L 2500 Tribute and the B string is tapered right over the saddle with the string thru the body.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  7. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I have the Labella tapewounds on my fretless and hear some of that odd overtone from the (tapered) B also. Not much down around the 5th fret, but gets more and more obnoxious as I move up the neck. I think you definately want to stay clear of the tapered strings. I know I will for this bass. I think I've spent about $500 on strings in the last 6 months. Not all for this bass though, that's over a 6 bass span. I haven't worn out a single string yet! Education is expensive!
  8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've had good luck with the Smith's tapored sets, but that's about it. I hated the DR tapored sets as well.
  9. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I had the same problem with them.

And I love La Bella strings too.
  10. Hi,

Sorry, but I need to resurrect this thread...

I had a set of DR Long Necks on an Ibanez BTB 556 about a year ago that seemed to add a note slightly out of tune to any note that I'd play...sort of a chorus affect. Forgetting aobut that experience, I now have a set on an F-Bass BN6...same issue, except on G and C strings, which aren't tapered. Is this what everyone is referring to?

Nevermind...found even more 2-year-old threads that reflect my experience. It is unfortunate that I bought TWO sets of these things. I think I'll just use the other set on one of my 5'ers that will allow through body string loading. Too bad...I love Lo-Beams and MMs.
  11. WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Have you tried adjusting the pickup heights?
  12. +1

Lowering pick up height often gets rid of the out of tune with one note kind of thing... when the strings are to close to the pick ups the magnets pull on the string and pull it out of its normal vibration pattern.
  13. You also have to completely change the intonation when mving from taper-wound to non-tapered strings. If you don't and tune the open strings, the higher notes on the fretboard will be more and more out of tune.
  14. All the pick-up and intonation adjustment in the world was not going to solve this. I replaced the strings with DR MM's...problem solved.