Another Accugroove thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matthewfoote, May 11, 2005.

1. Today part of my GAS went away with the arrival of a big brown box with the words Accugroove written on it.

After carefully ripping the box open my eyes fell on the wonderful sight of my 2nd Accugroove Tri112L cab complete with protective cover. :hyper:

I quickly stacked my Tri112L's in the living room and set my amp on top. This was about 5 hours ago and so far I am about 2 1/2 hours into my 8 hour break in period. Already the sound from the two cabs is a delight to behold. The treble and Mids seem to be as before only louder, but it is the Bass where there is the most difference. It has more than doubled but it is still full and controlled, it has a presence and authority that I have not heard before and I was playing at a very low volume.

I can see why Mark Wright said to me, "that two Tri 112Ls would be like a Whappo Jr but in two boxes". I can not even begin to think what a El Whappo would sound like if my two cabs sound this good.

Anyway back to breaking the cab in. I must finish by saying a big thanks to Mark at Accugroove for building such a great product and to Alex and Martin at the Gallery for getting it for me. Band practice at the weekend will be such fun. :D

ps pictures of my new rig should be posted tonight :bassist:
  2. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Congratulations Matthew! Oh, I can't wait to get my Whappo JR...should be here by the end of the week. :bassist:
  3. man I'm jealous ....

I'm still torn between Schroeder cabs and El Whappo.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas

When you get the chance, I think the Tri 112's would be an excellent candidate for vertical stacking with the tweeters/midranges towards the middle -- woofers at very bottom and top.

If you could compare that arrangement to having them stacked laying on their sides, I'd be interested to hear how much (if any) difference there is in the sound.

P.S. What are you driving these with?
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congratulations! I just spent some quality time with my Whappo, Jr. over lunch. I just received my new Skjold Custom 5, and wanted put it through its paces (but that is another story...). For amplification, I was using my DB 359. Man, did that combo of gear sound good!

Mark certainly knows how to work some magic, eh? :D
  6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I bet one (or two?) Tri 210 would be a good match w/the DB359 as well.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    One Tri 210L sounds pretty good with it, but doesn't move anywhere near the amount of air as the Jr., and is not nearly as full. Interestingly, the differences between the Jr. and the Tri 210L are not as prevalent when I use a SS head/amp. The Tri 210L/Gordo sounds pretty killer together, BTW!
  8. lo-freq

I will certainly try each and every way possible to see what gives the best overall sound. I hope to be suprised with the tonal variations I get when the cabs are arranged in various ways.

You will have to wait for the photos to see my amp etc. I am currently waiting for my wife to get home to help me load up the pictures I have taken. I used her new camera so I am not 100% sure what to do. I do not want to mess the camera up especially as she brought the cabinet for me.

Black 'n Tan

You have a hard decision to make, however as you would expect I would say Accugroove. That said I have never heard Schroders but I am now in the position of not needing too. :bassist:

Mark indeed has a very large stash of pixie dust that he sprinkles on them during construction. :D

Believe me, the wait is worth it

Secret Donkey

:hyper: :hyper: [as I have a pair]

9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've spent some quality time with that cab, in comparison with an Epi NYC 1x12 and a Schroeder of approximately simiar size. The Accu was such a nice cab it made me rethink my Epi purchase (which I've decided to keep).

Great acquisition! :hyper:
  10. Congratulations Matthew! You'll have to file a full report here once you've had the chance to gig with that pair a few times.

You said it. Four months have passed since my El Whappo arrived and every time we perform I grow to love it more... in fact it inspires continued appreciation from my band mates and the audience alike.
  11. Here are some pics of my new rig :hyper:
  12. Yeah baby... that's what I'm talkin' about!
  13. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Thanks for investing in another cabinet Matthew! You know what they say, find a need & fill it. Only this necessity was a private one that I had for over 30 years. I feel blessed that by filling my personal need I've been able to turn around and help others fill their needs as well.
    Here, here!! I've been nothing but impressed with Alex and Martin, their shop & how they do business. There is only one problem...unlike you; I do not have one of those beautiful Sei 6 string fretless basses that they build.

AccuGroove...Purveyor of Fine Cabinets
  14. Looks really nice! Congratulations with the rig.
  15. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hej Christian!...nice to see you around here, I'll let you know when the Accu arrives, then you can come and try it out...
  16. The Clarus can run at 2 ohm so you could add a Accugroove 1x10 or 2x10 :smug:

The rig looks great - I have been checking it evey day now!
  17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Interesting how much the individual elements of a system can affect the final sound -- you'd really expect that if one or more pieces of the puzzle were sub-par quality wise.
    With all high quality gear it seems to still be the case.

I bet it does.
    Have you run the iAmp-800 with this combination yet?

BTW, does anyone know of a head (or preamp) with the low end of the iAmp-800, the midrange of a Walter Woods Ultra, and the high end of a ThunderFunk?
    ...for less than the price of a Millennia STT-1 and a Crown MA-2402...
    That would be close to the ultimate tone!
  18. Or I could run 4 Tri112L's at the same time to use the full 300. Now that would be a rig to try :D

19. oooo! another AccuGroove thread!

I feel like a kid in a candy store!

can't wait to get to the West Coast and make the drive north from L.A. to visit AccuLand!

from the soon-to-be-relocating lows,