1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another Ampeg SVT7 pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by c4muzik, Aug 9, 2012.

1. c4muzik

c4muzik

Dec 31, 2006
    Boston, MA
    So yet another 7Pro down. I've had mine 2 years with no problems what so ever. I do run it loud though. Running through a 410HLF. Last night I show up to rehearsal, flick the switch. Lights up, then I get a whining noise through my speakers similar to a siren. It fades out and the amp shuts down. I was not happy to say the least and after a few beers did not want to be fiddling with it, not sure which version I have. Anyone here have any ideas?

2. You're 2 years in. That doesn't seem to me to be something to lump in as "yet another failed 7-PRO."

Have you contacted support?

I'm sure the more knowledgeable will chime in, but I did a google search

(from eHow)

"Determining whether you have a blown preamp tube can be tricky. Sometimes it is fairly obvious that a blown tube has caused a problem; other times it is harder to diagnose. Preamp tubes are inexpensive and easy to replace.

The easiest way to tell whether a tube is blown is when it goes microphonic. When a tube is microphonic, your amp will release a high-pitched squeal as you turn up the volume -- with or without a plugged-in instrument."

Might be a place to start.

3. c4muzik

c4muzik

Dec 31, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I don't think it would be a tube, but I guess anything is possible. I've had those problems in the past. This sound was very differen almost like an ambulance siren. I've heard nothing like this before. Strange... I will have to go back out there tomorrow and check fuses. In the mean time I'll have to try and get a hold of Ampeg

4. Like I said, it was just the first thing that popped up on a quick search. I'm not claiming to know anything.

Contacting Ampeg should be the hip trip, and maybe someone here will recognize the symptoms.

Good luck with it.

5. c4muzik

c4muzik

Dec 31, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Thanks, will do

6. The first thing I’d do is clean the effect send/return jacks with De-Oxit and if that doesn’t fix the problem I’d just send it in for repair - but the amp techs on TB like B-string, Mr. Foxen, Paul, etc may have some helpful idea's - give them a chance to see your post.

7. c4muzik

c4muzik

Dec 31, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Sent the unit. They've had it 2 weeks. Called for an update, 4-6 more weeks, parts are on back order. I don't get a warm fuzzy. Anyone know if Ampeg covers loaner amps? I'm screwed..lol

8. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    just curious, which version 7pro is your amp?

9. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    ya this really sucks, I would be upset to, what are you supposed to do for an amp now while you wait...this is some BS that would happen to me...thinking about sneding my brand new 7 pro back and getting another TC bh500, never had any problems NOR have I herd of any problems besides the POWER crap, but it was way louder then I would even need. Hope things work out for you, this is BS no matter how someone tries to spin it

10. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Jaysus, when I joined TB waaay back in ought '9, I thought TB would all collectively collapse into seizures of sheer joy that a 10-ish lb, all-tube pre, sub $1k Ampeg that sounds SVT-ish enough was on the market. Three years later, and this lil guy just keeps getting maligned left n right. I get it, having something you count on so dearly fail you SUCKS. I TOTALLY get that. But, at the same time, it's a product that's still essentially in it's infancy.

11. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    +1

12. c4muzik

c4muzik

Dec 31, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I think it was c00 something. This blows big time. So much so I'm considering trying new amps out.

13. c4muzik

c4muzik

Dec 31, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Thanks. My band is loud, so I need the headroom but having second thoughts

14. G-K's MB800 was tested by BGM honestly over 800 watts at 4 ohms and sustained burst power over 1000 watts. Just a thought?

15. I'd think about possibly calling or emailing Ampeg customer service to verify that there is a problem with parts on back order. Ampeg may possibly contact the authorized repair shop to expedite things....maybe.

16. c4muzik

c4muzik

Dec 31, 2006
    Boston, MA
    +1

Good call. I did hit them up but I was more trying for a loaner. I'll see what they say.

17. c4muzik

c4muzik

Dec 31, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I may try that. I've mostly played Ampeg and that's it. I actually saw a Mesa Boogie carbine that looked pretty sweet. Always wanted to try one. I may have to check it out. After all this I think I may end up with gas big time. Lol

18. SBrown

SBrown

Dec 5, 2008
    Auburn, CA
    The circuit board on mine failed about 2 months ago, and my shop ordered the part from Mackie, in the warranty process. Still waiting.... Mine is about 1.5 years old rev.C00. So the point is, you might be waiting a while. I love the amp, and have always supported the company, but their warranty process is painfully slow.

19. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There seems to be some cutoff point, after which they don't do a swap of unit..... they fix yours. For early failures, they have tended to swap out units.

On the other hand, they may possibly have had enough issues that they don't want to do a lot of swaps, and would rather fix yours.

There is also the possibility that they have taken all the comments here to heart, and you may be in line to get a rev D00 PWB, assuming there is such a thing coming..... If that were true, and you got one swapped into your unit, (and it fixes the issues people have been complaining about) you might feel pretty happy about some extra waiting.

No.... I do NOT have any inside info on any upcoming revisions..... but if they have any sense, they will be looking at fixing the issues once and for all, and putting the fixes into a rev D00 PWB at least for production, if not for warranty repairs.

20. 7 Pro uses Mackie parts? I didn't know that.