Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another bass synth thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Raman, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Sorry if I'm starting yet another thread on this topic. But I've narrowed down my choices and would appreciate some info about 3 specific units : The Korg G5, EH Bass Micro Synth, and Akai Deep impact.
    I'll probably be buying or ordering one of the 3 in the next month or so.

So far I like the idea of the G5 most, especially because of the expression pedal option.
    But as far as sounds go, I've only been able to try that one, the guitar version of the Micro synth, and no Deep Impact (I haven't yet found a store with the bass version of the EH or the Akai in stock).

Now since the stores all tell me my guess is as good as theirs as far as when they might receive the EH or the Akai--and that's if they ever receive one without me actually ordering it--I'd like to get your impressions on these pedals, compared to the Korg.

The guitar version of the EH seemed pretty damn cool to me, even though you can't save patches or control it while playing. Sound wise, in any case, I thought it rocked.
    But, of course, I have no idea how the bass version would react to lower frequ... And the guitar version was just useless in that realm.

The only impression I've had of the Akai was from sound samples I got at the Harmony Central Effects Database page. And I thought it sounded thin. But JazzAd keeps telling me it's ballsier than the other 2...

So all this makes me a very confused potential buyer.

Basically, I'm looking for an effect that will sound as close as possible to something like a MS-10, with lower synth sounds that don't fart, and nice and powerful sweeping filters. Or as close as possible to that, in that price range. (Hope that's clear enough... My English often quits on me when I try to explain abstract concepts such as sounds. :( )

I'd really appreciate your input on this.
    Thanks. :cool:

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'm pretty sure the akai is discontinued.

3. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Damnit...
    That'd be weird though : The guy at the shop said he'd ordered one.
    :confused:

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    If you get an EH, make sure you get an old one. The new one's don't track well at all.

5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I'm sure Mad Subwoofer will agree with me, the G5 is probably the best sounding of the bunch. Very warm sound and it tracks very well. The filters are quite good, and you can get a nice "wet" envelope sound from it. The expression pedal option is waaaayyy cool! You might want to consider a bypass pedal to use with it, because it's a little bit of a tone sucker when bypassed at the pedal itself.

Good luck finding one.......

And if you do, consider that you'll pay more for a used G5 than a new Deep Impact. Not good or bad, just something to consider.

You can still get the Deep Impact, try Musician's Friend and AMS. The DP sounds good, tracks good, and it's very simple to operate. You can get one for a decent price, since I think they are in the process of being 86'd. "Ballsy" yes, but not quite as warm sounding as the G5. The DP doesn't take up as much room on your pedalboard, if that's important to you. Akai claims they are "True Bypass", but my ears tell me different.....

I don't have too much experience with the EH, but I found it to be a decent pedal. A little noisy, and it thinned out my bypassed tone a bit, but not too bad. Just not in the same league as the other two, IMHO. Maybe I just played through a bad unit? Hopefully somebody will pipe in here with a little more info on it for ya.

Hope some of this was helpful.

Later.

6. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Nice review Tritone.
    Much appreciated, thanks. :)