1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another dang silk color/string ID thread.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FourBanger, Mar 22, 2013.

1. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I know I've seen a picture on the forum of these strings but for the life of me I can't locate it now. These are on the Ibby I bought used this morning.

Black silk at each end, even at tuning end, appear to be standard roundwounds and feel and sound like nickel to me, brass ball ends.

256v7o3.
    5jvbmd.

Thanks all.

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    GHS? My pressurewounds have black silk at both ends and gold ball ends.

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    That was my first guess but my calloused fingers can't tell if they are smoother than the Boomers I am used to playing.

Seems they could be either GHS Pressurewounds or Fender 7250s?

Time to get out the microscope and look at the windings.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    how long are they ball to silk?

5. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    could be peavey strings I remember their nickel had black on each end... just a shot in the dark

6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Did't think to measure that, but you are the string guy and not me!

Looks to be 36.75" on the E and A and about an eighth more on the D and G, but this is under tension.

Edit: I loosened the E enough to slip it out of the bridge (love the slotted bridge) and with a straight, no tension measurement I get 36.5" for the E.

7. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Labella hard rockin' steel have the black silk at both ends also.

8. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I am the kind of guy where it will bug me so much not knowing exactly which strings were fitted to the bass before I bought it that I will replace a perfectly good set of strings just to be sure I know what I have on it.

Better go check my tires before it is too late...

9. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    If they ARE Nickel, they wouldn't be LaBella. The Hard Rockin's have black on both ends but in the new packaging they've eliminated the silk.

10. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I am leaning towards Fenders for three reasons: they don't feel pressurewound, the way the taper is wrapped under the silk does not look like pictures of pressurewounds I've seen and the length of the silk on the ball end looks longer than GHS as well.

11. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    They could be Peavey strings

12. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I think the only recent Peavey strings are the Cirrus strings are they not? These can't be those because the Cirrus strings are meant to fit a 35" string-through bass and these would not have enough room before the silks for that.