1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ANOTHER earthquake?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IconBasser, Apr 14, 2010.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
  2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I just heard that listening to Democracy Now (on Facebook). 6.9 400 dead,...crazy.

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
  4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    California is seceding! And we're all helpless to stop it!

It knows, now, that its time to be its own country.

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :eek: WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

6. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    This one was different though, instead of happening on the edge of a plate or a fault line, this one happened in the middle of a plate.

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    resident Geologic Engineer Munjibunga to the thread please, paging Mr. Bunga...

8. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No, no... we're gonna be FREE!

9. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    I just checked with the gypsy down the street.......WE"RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

10. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

yay! We're gonna go chill with Hawaii. Alaska can come too. (kudos if you get the reference)

11. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    Ive always denied anything's going to happen on 2012, but all these earthquakes and crazy stuff is making me wonder, not if we are going to die, but if we are really going to see some big changes...

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "When you're having a lot of earthquakes, you tend to have a lot of earthquakes." ~ Dr. Lucille Jones, USGS

Anyway, after teaching my class about plate tectonics today, I was almost home when I saw the science teacher from my daughter's school doing crossing duty. I stopped to say hi, and she told me she had to go talk to a woman whose 2nd-grade son was flipping out over the Easter Sunday earthquake (they're from the midwest). So I offered to come along and talk to them. So it turns out it's this woman with three kids, a kindergartener, the second-grader and a fifth-grade daughter.

So we sat down in a little conference room, and I told the kids they might be crushed and die in the next earthquake, which could happen at any time. Naw, naw, naw. I told them that buildings in this part of the world are built much better than in other parts of the world, and there are laws that require people to build the buildings to resist earthquakes. We talked for about 20 minutes and the kids said they felt a lot better about things. So that was cool.

BTW, I hate earthquakes. The one on Easter Sunday was one of the two biggest I've felt locally, even though the epicenter was about 120 miles away. I was in a much nastier one in San Jose in 1989 (the Loma Prieta earthquake). I saw ground waves going across the parking lot and under the buildings. Icky, icky, icky.

13. Almost worried me for a second when I clicked the thread, my parents are in the dominican right now.

14. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Repent. The end is near.

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Speaking in a strictly geological sense, 9.8s would be referred to as "Wrath of God" magnitude EQs. :p

16. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    heehee :p

17. earthquake in Utah Thursday night... Yikes! We're overdue for one here - yep there are fault lines on the East Coast...(of the US!)

18. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Build up for the 2012 disaster? The west coast should really be thinking about heading east and the east coast should be heading west. :D

19. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No, we just need to make our homes waterproof for when California eventually heads out to sea.