1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another fish out of water, here

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by BladedBassist, Apr 22, 2006.

1. BladedBassist

BladedBassist

Apr 22, 2006
    As you may have guessed, I'm new. I've Been playing bass since last Christmas, and I'm not all that goood. "Don't put yourself down" is what you might be thinking. "You're probably not as bad as you think." Maybe I'm not, but I'll tell you about it. I don't know what the notes are. I mean, I know the notes. a-g, and all the flats and stuff, just don't know where they're at on the bass. I've got a four-string Ibanez bass. The cord to the amp is screwed up, so I'm waiting for a new one. But I do know how to read online tabs. I don't know how to adjust the tune of my bass and crap, though. Like tuning it down and stuff.

2. new_2_bass

new_2_bass

Apr 22, 2006
    im new to the bass too.i dont know the notes or anything.i have a freind thats like the best at the bass that i've seen, but he wont teach me. well good luck and everything

3. cat_s

cat_s

Apr 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    :bassist: You might want to check out

http://www.cyberfretbass.com/first-fret/index.php

There is some useful information there.

An electronic tuner is handy. Some people consider it "cheating" but I think it's a useful tool, as long as you don't stay dependant on it forever.
    (I'm using mine to find the notes on the neck of my new cello, until I find a teacher.):eyebrow:

4. cat_s

cat_s

Apr 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Kind of goes without saying that you'll want to listen to lots of music with good, clear, prominent bass lines.