1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another GB Shuttle user.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Marty Forrer, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Just bought a GB Shuttle 3.0 combo with the 10" cab. I tried it out on approval, and did an A/B against my Markbass LMII. Wow is all I can say. I never realised how much colour the LMII put into the sound until I did the test. The shuttle is definitely transparent, and obtains a great sound with all controls dead flat. The gut D and G come alive with the shuttle, quite amazing really.
    Why wasn't this amp available 20years ago?... I would have saved myself a bucket full of money :bawl:
    Running the combo with my Bag End 1x12" cab is a revelation!

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Marty,
    Yep, they are very nice sounding, and geesh it's so lightweight. Twenty years ago would put you in 1990. The only amps that light were the GK 200MB, the Roland Cube, the Polytone, and a Walter Woods, with what ever cabinet you bought. The Roland wouldn't hold a candle to the Gentz Benz, the GK 200MB sounded really good but not as powerful as the Gentz Benz, the Polytone was servicable but not a personal favorite, and the Walter Woods was expensive even in the early 90's. Things are vastly better these days. If Gentz Benz made a two channel Shuttle I'd buy it.

Ric

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Hey there Marty.

Yeah I guess the Genz Benz gear has earned many accolades for DB, at least here on DBTB for a while now. Cool indeed. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Barcus Berry pickup (your profile). Wild. I just read an article today about Byron House in the Nov. 2010 BP. He collaborated on Robert Plant's latest Band of Joy. And is touring for same. (Can you imagine? Paying your dues since the 70's and then scoring a gig w/ Robert Plant ???) Byron uses the same BB p/u on his upright.

P.S.S. What kind of guts you runnin' if I my ask? Different forum, I know.

4. I see a Barbera in his profile, not a Barcus-Berry. (?)

5. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    They actually do make one, the ShuttleMax series.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Oops. :oops: Maybe I should reread the Byron House article too. :)

7. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Shmone,
    Unless I'm missing something, the Shuttle Max amps do indeed have two channels, but only one input. What I would need is two independent channels with their own inputs, like the Acoustic Image, Euphonic Audio or Walter Woods. Am I missing something?

Ric

8. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    If that is the case than no, you aren't missing anything. I thought maybe you weren't aware of the ShuttleMax series and then it was worth mentioning, oh well..:smug:

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Shmone,
    Since DB players frequently blend microphones with their pickups or double on EB a single channel amplifier will work but you have to insert an extra preamp into the effects loop. Gentz Benz makes a great product, but it's always baffeled me why you would build a two channel amplifier and only have one input. It shows you just how much electric bass dominates the market. They build the Shennendoah compact for acoustic instruments that looks perfect for this, but I don't know if it would work for Acoustic Bass and Bass Guitar.

Attached Files:

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The Shen Compact is pretty common for acoustic bass, though if it's going to be used for electric too it might be a good idea to try it with something like a Uber 112 under it. Also, the head comes out of the cabinet for fly dates or to use with a larger bass rig. Just another tool to try for this application.

11. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Wise Horse,

Do you think that by adding the Shen extension would be enough to use the electric bass? Probably not but I'm trying to stay lighter.

Ric

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Probably not BUT, you might consider one of the Shuttle series extension cabinets. Also light weight but a different and more appropriate tuning for electric.

13. I'm a doubler, and I find my Bag End 1x12 suits both instruments. I dont play both on a gig, so have no need of two channels, but I would suggest a little Mackie or similar mixer might be a good way to achieve that function with a single channel amp.

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Be sure that any mixer you choose has adequately high input impedance for the 1/4" instrument that you will use with your pickup. Many do not.