Another GraphTech piezo saddle question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eutgard, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Here is passive (without Ghost preamp) install schematic of GT's Ghost piezo saddles to magnetic pickup.

Will there be any difference of tone/sound between passive and active (using Ghost preamp) install? If there IS difference, what will be it? Adding preamp will be worthy?

I live in South Korea and before I order them from USA, I'd like know about them as much as possible.
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Short answer: yes. Because of their high impedance there are two primary problems with passive piezo setups:

1. driving the cable run from the piezos to the preamp,

2. matching the piezos to the preamp impedance.

Many piezo preamp systems aren't full function preamps, but they act as a buffer amplifier to match the piezos to conventional equipment and acting as a line driver. Bartolini makes a piezo buffer specific to this application. The Ghost preamp is very similar, but has more features.

If you were going to install the piezos as is, with no onboard preamp or buffer, you should keep the cable runs as short as possible and use an external preamp with very high input impedance.

I have a Tacoma ABG with no internal preamp, but I use a K&K beltclip preamp attached to the strap.