Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Growl Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ncpilot2, Jan 13, 2006.

1. ncpilot2

ncpilot2

Apr 26, 2005
    Nashville, NC
    Isn't growl kind of like the sound a cello makes on the real low notes? You know, the sound when the bow just starts to pull across the strings:meh:

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Kind of, but not necessarily so with an electric. I get a growl just by turning up the preamp and digging in.

3. I think that's called overdrive, not growl. I'd say Pilot's decription is pretty close to what would be "growl" in my book.

4. ncpilot2

ncpilot2

Apr 26, 2005
    Nashville, NC
    Thanks for the reponses. I guess there are still widely varying opinions - growl means something different to each of us.

5. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Agreed, I used to think growl meant the same thing as mwah. But I guess that's not correct. It seems that growl refers to that hollow mid-rangy sound that is sort of the classic jazz bass bridge pickup sound. Mwah is more the fretless sound of the string vibrating against the neck like an upright.

And to get more detailed about mwah. The vibration of the string is a side to side motion. But in what direction? What actually seems to happen is that there's a low frequency shift between vibrating in a plane parallel to the fingerboard, and vibrating in a plane intersecting with the fingerboard. The change in timbre that this causes, and the degree that in can be heard, is refered to as mwah.

That's my theory, and it's mine :)

6. AmPb100

AmPb100

Apr 25, 2005
    Berklee/Boston
    Boost around 120-160Hz and use some compression if it's available. Be careful in that freq range though cause too much = pure mud.

7. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    'mwah' has been well described and sounds as it's pronounced.
    'growl' to me is harder to describe and differs a lot. To me, it's the aggressive attack of a Warwick or Stingray 5 which Fenders don't have. My Fodera doesn't quite growl but goes have an agressive edge to it which again the Fenders don't have. Maybe that's a 'hi-fi' sound?
    Someone in the 60's told me a Fender Jazz had a 'click' sound to it. Not sure I ever completely understood that one but the Jazz does have something of character the Precision doesn't.
    How is that described?

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    my definiton of growl:
    go to www.celinder.com
    go to references, then click on nikolai storr's video. listen with good speakers or headphones =

GROWL.

9. Jazz basses are known for their bridge growl, as are Stingrays and Warwicks

Listen to the intro to "The Wall" by Pink Floyd.....

A mapleboard Fender P or J sounds way more aggressive to me than a Warwick.... everytime I hear a band that plays 'Wicks, they sound really fat and round, not aggressive...although I always liked the tones Alex Katunich(Dirk Lance) came up with...

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. If the Encyclopedia Galactica had a sound file for growl, it would sound like that clip, when he goes down into the low register.

Pan, have you never heard a Jazz bass before?:eyebrow: