Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another hyperbass question

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by sloppysubs, Apr 18, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hey mike,
    i was watching one of your starlick vids the other day. you mentioned that the piccilo strings can get to std. tunning. is that std. tunning of a regular guage (string) bass or is it an octave higher. i guess waht i mean is like for monkey businessman. you tune to a cello but higher. do you reference that tunning from a bass with regular guage strings or do you reference from std. tunning an octave above a bass with regular strings?
    im sorry if thats confusing but thanks for any help.

2. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I believe Michael uses exteremly light gauge strings. I think what you're asking is if those strings can go down to regular tuning without being too floppy or unclear. Using those light strings gives him the option to tune them much higher than he could, were he using regular gauge strings. Does this answer your question? :)

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks but no. i know they can go to "normal" std. tuning, but they are floppy. what i want to know if can they got to an octave above "normal" std. tuning and two octaves above? if so, is where michael refrences his altered tunings?

4. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Good question. Can't say I didn't try. I would imagine that it's quite possible but it may be a bit to tight for those strings.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks for the help anyway chace.

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    On most of my basses I use normal light gauge strings, but on the Hyperbass I use D'Addario piccolo bass strings. I find I usually tune these strings roughly somewhere between standard tuning and one octave above standard – much higher and breaking becomes an issue. For "Monkey Businessman" I tune the Hyperbass C-F-Bb-Eb low to high, a minor sixth above standard tuning. In this case the low string is tuned to the same note as the low string of a cello. I don't know (or particularly care!) what piccolo bass strings are "supposed" to be tuned to, but this tuning feels like a good medium range for them. However, I'd like to point out that in my opinion, it's best to think of the tuning range of strings as a relative concept. Some music will sound good to me on comparatively tight or loose strings, some won't, and I try to use tunings that best support the part I'm trying to play at the moment.