Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another midi pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by warwickben, Nov 28, 2004.

1. i asked not that long ago if its possible to buy on of those roland bass midi pickups and hook it up to a compture to run programs like reason.
    wat i got for a response was that i need to buy some thing like axon 100sb or roland gr-20. i looke dat those and they werent wat i was really asking about.

i just want to know if there any thing i can hook the output of the midi picukup in to and it put sout normale midi so i can connect it to a usb/firewire midi interface.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It was me you asked. I gave a reply, and you didn't respond in that thread with any more questions - or even a thank you.

As I said then, to do guitar to midi conversion you need two things. Firstly, a divided pickup (or individual piezo outputs per string) . This outputs a number of parallel bass signals, one per string.

You then need a unit that converts your divided analog bass signal into digital midi information that can be used by a sound module or software program via a midi in. That's why you'd need an axon 100sb or roland gr20 or roland gi-20. Once that converts analog to midi, you can hook it up to your PC midi interface.

If there's any part of this you don't understand, ask away.

3. i thought i sent u a pm thanking you iam sorry.

i checked out the axon 100sb and roland gr20 there werent wat i was looking for.

the gi-20 is wat i was asking for.someething that just converts.

is they any thing else that will the same thing more or less.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Roland GR-20 has built in sounds. The Axon100SB has built in sounds also, there is a version without sound modules (AX100) which just does conversion. There's also the Yamaha G50, which as far as I know is a rebadged version of the Axon.
    The GI-20 is about the cheapest stand alone convertor I know of, it's $350 new plus you'll have to buy a divided pickup on top of that.
    I haven't used it, so I can't comment on it's qualities. Bear in mind cheap doesn't necessarily equal good with midi conversion, the Axon has the best tracking I've heard on bass.