Another new project.... sigh....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had no plans to do a project like this, but since this bass came up on the local Craigslist for $50, I guess I will...

I'll probably add another EBO pickup, strip and refin it in Pelham Blue, Sparkling Burgundy, or maybe even Polaris White. I haven't decided yet...I just picked the bass up a few minutes ago.

Any ideas ?

EBO.jpg

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Darkstar(s), Hipshot replacement 3 point bridge, ultralight tuners, and flats (maybe replace electronics as well, if they need it).

How'd I do? :bag:

3. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Too much $$$$ for a cheapie bass...

:D

(but it WOULD turn out to be a cool bass...)

4. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    I don't have any ideas for you right now, but you really should make a thread containing all the different basses you've done. I LOVE your redone basses.

5. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    In that case - flats, strip the finish and refin in trans red or possibly something daring - a trans green/blue/purple? Assuming the wood underneath is worth finishing transparent, of course. If not, I'd say go metallic something. You know, to set it apart.

I'd still say to at least replace the bridge, though. But that's just me. I never cared for the stock 3 point bridges. :meh:

6. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

:)

Thanks for the kind words -

Maybe if I have a ton of extra time and can find some of the pics from over the years....

These are fun projects though. I enjoy taking something "mediocre" and making it great...or at least "cool"...

:D:D:D:D:D

7. Whoa i just got an epiphone SG special with a stand on craigslist for 40$ haha basically the guitar version of that.

I think another pickup would be sweet

8. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It'll DEFINITELY get flats - all my basses get Chromes or tapewounds....so I'm with ya there !

Color is still up for grabs, and I'll look into the Hipshot...or I think a Badass III is a replacement as well, right ?

9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

When they come up this cheap you've gotta buy 'em and worry about the details later !

Congrats on a sweet deal !

10. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    DiMarzio Pickup, White finish. some sorta new bridge.

11. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    Would you be willing do one to my specs that I requested if i payed for everything? :D

12. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

PM me - just depends on the project and if it is something I'm "into".

13. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Do those big ol' DiMarzios sound decent ?

14. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    What should you do with it??? Leave it like it is.....it has a very cool vintage vibe. Put on a set of flats, and you'll have a great bass.

15. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

I have trouble leaving "well enough" alone. :D

16. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    The hunt for some crappy old bass on ebay/CL starts!

17. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    :D

18. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    I've already got invisions of a "poor man's Geddyjazz/Music Man" similar to your poor mans pbass. How do either of those sound?

19. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Here's one I built recently that is along those lines - you might dig it (but you can't have it !!!:D)

BIGDADDY2sm.jpg

So yeah, that would be a fun project.

20. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    I saw that, and i do like. But i already have a pbass so in order for the dad to not get too razzled about me getting anohter bass, I probably should have some difference haha. Hence the jazz or MM thinking.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021