1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another noob joining the dark side

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by edremy, Sep 18, 2010.

1. edremy

edremy

Sep 18, 2010
    So far my wife and kids have been putting up with my midlife crisis for a while now in the form of learning the guitar. For some reason they're still hanging around the house, so I must not be generating enough suckage.

Craigslist to the rescue! Now I can suck on two totally different instruments!

bass.jpg

Schecter Omen 5 string. Perfect condition- I can't find a ding on it. The seller threw in a Crate MXB-50 amp and a bunch of other bits, including a pack of strings. This is good, since I didn't realize until now they're $35/pack! Cleaned off the dust, restrung it, changed the battery and it works great

guitars.jpg

With its smaller cousin. Given that I also bought a flute for my son this weekend since he wants to start that, we're going to need serious earplugs around the house.

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    nice score. my local shop and one of these and the bass played great and was very sweet sounding.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Cool rig!

You might want to check out the link in my sig. for some great TB info that may help you on your musical journey.

Good luck.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'll bet that Schecter is great! I bought a closely related 4-string model last weekend, and it's an excellent bass.

Buy your strings online. Best prices I've found are at Imperial Guitars online, but Juststrings.com is always good and has a very wide selection.

Personally, I don't change strings on basses...the rounds on my 2000 MIM Jazz are 10 years old and sound fine. Flats don't ever need changed.

5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    edremy, write this down:

Impress on your resident flute player the importance of pianissimo exercises (to be performed very softly). He should spend some practice time on the control of air, and vibrato at low noise levels.

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The dark side is over there, pal. ;)

7. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    +1

I stumbled in there once when I was looking at buying an EUB. I searched first...extensively, then posted. What a bunch of...well, nevermind! :spit:

8. edremy

edremy

Sep 18, 2010
    I'll try, but I have utterly zero knowledge of woodwinds so I won't be able to give him tips at all. I played viola for many years and have reached the stage of being merely awful on guitar so if he'd chosen something with strings I could help, but all I know about flute is that if you play it dressed funny and standing on one leg you can win heavy metal Grammys.

Is there an online site that might be appropriate for kids, or at least useful to someone trying to help?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021